L66 but i hope you can help

We all know how difficult it is to identify the sex of these fish, so please post a picture in here and we'll try to help you (or at least give an educated guess!).
AndyAps.com
Obsessed!!

L66 but i hope you can help

Post by AndyAps.com »

hello all,
does anyone have a sure fire way of sexing L66 King Tiger pl*co???
I bought 2 large specimens about a month ago and keep them in a 12 gallon breeder. i bought the 2 with the most sexual dimorphism between them so im sure i have a pair, however going by normal hypancistrus sexing rules, they seem to have swapped roles. ok here goes........
Fish 1 is about 6 inch, broad across the "shoulders" and has very heavy odontal growth on the cheeks and on the pectoral fins and is also very hairy on the base of the tail (cadual penduncle). Fish 2 is 5.5inch, has a more pointed head shape and very little cheek odontodes and none on the pectoral fins and zero body hair. under normal rules i figured i had bought a male(1) and a female(2) however......
i have "aqualog all L-numbers" and in their it states for L66 "the sex with the plumper body will develop a hairy appearance on the cadual penduncle, ie the female" this confused me a lil so i introduced 3 caves into the tank, Fish 2(no odontodes) has taken up residence in a cave and doesnt venture far. Fish 1 takes refuge under various bits of driftwood etc. Basically appearence suggests 1=male and 2=female, however behaviour and "aqualog" suggest 1=female and 2=male
I know this is really confusin and appreciate your time for readin but PLEASE.......Does anyone know how to sex them for sure???
Id luv to know so i can breed them lol
Thanks
Andy

Pictures below are of Fish number 1- note the odontal growth. cant get a good pic of fish 2 yet.
success is a journey full of unbelievable experiance NOT a destination with an unbelievable experiance.
AndyAps.com
Obsessed!!

Post by AndyAps.com »

36 views and noone can offer any advice?
come on people we are supposed to be the cream of the crop lol
success is a journey full of unbelievable experiance NOT a destination with an unbelievable experiance.
discusbabe
Obsessed!!

Post by discusbabe »

LOL! Sorry Andy, I did look but can't offer any further advice! :( At the end of the day if it appears you have one of each sex and they are fully grown then I guess you need some patience! :P Have you asked on PC?
AndyAps.com
Obsessed!!

Post by AndyAps.com »

yeah i have posted on planet catfish and on scotcat but noone seems to know lol
I think i have both sex's so maybe i can breed them and then clear up the issue, i cant see why L66 would be any different from other hypancistrus so i'm not sure if the "aqualog" is a missprint. Or maybe Fish 2 is a very very subdominant male and thats why it doesnt have odontodes?
AndyAps.com
Obsessed!!

Post by AndyAps.com »

sorted it, i dug out my copy of datz which says
"Adult male L66 like other ancistrine can be identified by heavy odontal growth"
That makes a lil more sense, maybe aqualog is a misprint or im reading it very wrong!
doesnt explain their behavior tho, maybe i got bi-sexual fish lol
discusbabe
Obsessed!!

Post by discusbabe »

LMAO! You never know! :P Good luck with them either way, they are very nice fish! 8)