Theres a crazy worm thing in my tank!!! helP

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

andrewcoxon
Mentally Certified!

Theres a crazy worm thing in my tank!!! helP

Post by andrewcoxon »

just got back in tonight and turned my fish light on and theres a crazy worm like creature about 1.5 - 2 inches in length on the front of the glass inside the tank. it looks like a tiny thin earth worm. what the hell is it? and should i be worried???

thanks in advance.

andy
My Pleco's:
4 x L46
5 x L174
5 x L134
5 x L287
5 x L257
2 x L236
andrewcoxon
Mentally Certified!

Post by andrewcoxon »

iv just fished it out with my net and it curled up into a small ball as soon as i toutched it?
My Pleco's:
4 x L46
5 x L174
5 x L134
5 x L287
5 x L257
2 x L236
Lifted193
Obsessed!!

Post by Lifted193 »

Andy,
I notice the same worms in my prefilter too.
I feed my ZP's some frozen food once a week it's a variety pack, with frozen worms!
Ken
crazie.eddie
Obsessed!!

Post by crazie.eddie »

It could be planaria, which normally occurs in when the fish are overfed. Planaria are harmless, just a nuisance. Could you post a pic of them so we can verify?
Jojoyojimbi
Obsessed!!

Post by Jojoyojimbi »

nematode, not planaria, since planaria are flatworms like you used to discect in highschool
crazie.eddie
Obsessed!!

Post by crazie.eddie »

Planaria can exist in aquariums. Do a Google search on aquarium planaria. Here's a link as an example...
http://www.aquariumcorner.com/planaria.htm

I picture and/or better description of the worm would help.
andrewcoxon
Mentally Certified!

Post by andrewcoxon »

iv just looked on the net and it definatley isnt planaria, it looks like a nematode as shown here:

however, on the net it says they dont get more than 4-5mm long, where as the one i found was over an inch! but very thin, like a thick hair.

it also says both worms are a product of over feeding, i do over feed on purpose but i always ensure all the food has gone or vac it up and i test my water weekly and its never ever had any nitrite or ammonia in it....?
My Pleco's:
4 x L46
5 x L174
5 x L134
5 x L287
5 x L257
2 x L236
Jojoyojimbi
Obsessed!!

Post by Jojoyojimbi »

they live down in the substrate and usually come out in the dark or when there's too many in the substrate, all that food you're feeding is working its way into your substrate and providing a great habitat for them to grow in, feed less, vac more, and you'll get rid of them
andrewcoxon
Mentally Certified!

Post by andrewcoxon »

thanks. you sure thats what it is tho? as i said, it says they get to 5mm where as the one i found was an inch and a half!!!

or did i just manage to grow my self a show size worm....
My Pleco's:
4 x L46
5 x L174
5 x L134
5 x L287
5 x L257
2 x L236
jerms55555
Obsessed!!

Post by jerms55555 »

Sometimes when i feed live bloodworms, about a month later I find a few that have grown under rocks! :shock: I thought they wouldn't live to long underwater. They usually grow to abou that size.....and these are tanks that have not substrate!
Briesje
Groupie

Post by Briesje »

I also had the same as jerms tells :)
Only have sand and also had twice a worm of that size...
Keep on smiling... you never know who'll fall in love with your smile...
Lifted193
Obsessed!!

Post by Lifted193 »

I manage to capture on of the worm and they look like bristle worms in reef tanks...? The coloration of the worm is pink. I don't think there harmful but I don't like them in my tank.