Breeding Caves

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Adam

Post by Adam »

Great looking caves Lyretail, welcome to the forum by the way. :D

I especially like the distressed look, makes them look a whole lot more natural. Did you use the wet saw to achieve this finish? Any problems with the slate splintering? I may well try the "distressed" look on some of my caves.

Regards.

Adam
LyreTail
Obsessed!!

Post by LyreTail »

I used a high speed rotary tool called a "dremel" with a round heavy grit resin bonded sanding cylinder that was about 1 cm in diameter and about 2 cm long . I went through several cylinders - one for each cave. This tool allowed me to gradually carve the wavy shapes without splintering or mistakes. It took about 5 minutes for each cave. I tried other bits that I have including stone ones and none of them work that well. I had some ceramic cutting disks for the Dremel that did work, but they left sharp lines.

I distressed the cave edges after they were assembled - my face was pretty dusty when I was done :shock:
LyreTail
Obsessed!!

Post by LyreTail »

Another helpful tip

I accidentally bought some ungraded slate tile and now I understand why some people have had trouble making caves fit together with tight seams. The tiles that have been machined on one side for a more consistent thickness are easier to work with, but I was able to cope with the less consistent grade by chipping off high spots ( on the smoother side) with a good flat chisel and then sanding them on my bench sander. It took a bit more work, but the results were flawless seams. Even with graded slate, this is a helpful tip but the necessary sanding is much less.