What are our ambitions with L46's

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

marcus
Groupie

Post by marcus »

I brought my first 6 zebras just after the ban, they are wild caught and cost me £180 each or $350. To most people that is expensive and it is, but if you compare the expense to the amount of personal pleasure I have had from them over the last couple of years and in the last week when I have had my first group of little zebs, the cost doesn’t come in to it. They are priceless to me
rhino
Obsessed!!

Post by rhino »

marcus wrote:I brought my first 6 zebras just after the ban, they are wild caught and cost me £180 each or $350. To most people that is expensive and it is, but if you compare the expense to the amount of personal pleasure I have had from them over the last couple of years and in the last week when I have had my first group of little zebs, the cost doesn’t come in to it. They are priceless to me
Is it normal to take that long for them to spawn? Or were yours young to start with and had to mature?
Bobby
marcus
Groupie

Post by marcus »

i had my first spawn about 5 months ago. my big male doesnt like any of the caves and has made is home in a plastic tree stump thingy. i only know he spawned because when i was cleaning out the tank i removed it and the eggs fell out.
when i got them the biggest was about 2.5 inches and the smallest was about 2 inches.
when i got them my goal was to get them to breed. now ive got them to breed i want there fry to breed, i just have to find a few other breeders who are will to do swaps.
rhino
Obsessed!!

Post by rhino »

What do you mean by swaps?
Bobby
marcus
Groupie

Post by marcus »

I mean if anyone is willing to swap fry. It saves the expense of buying more and keeps the gene pool strong.
crazie.eddie
Obsessed!!

Post by crazie.eddie »

The thing is about swaps...you should research on the background of their zebs. Even though you may swap from 4 different people. All of them could haven't gotten the plecos from the same person.

One of the guys that I deal with has a wild zeb pair when the zebs first got introduced here in the US, which includes 2 mated pairs from it's spawn. He not only sells locally, but ships his zebs nationwide. Unfortunately, some of the other zeb breeders I know around, their zeb gene pool goes back to that same zeb, including mine. So swapping won't really help much for me with people around here.
chanettt
Obsessed!!

Post by chanettt »

who should i swap :shock: never heard of any of them :(