bad pic but need expert eyes

We all know how difficult it is to identify the sex of these fish, so please post a picture in here and we'll try to help you (or at least give an educated guess!).
chanettt
Obsessed!!

bad pic but need expert eyes

Post by chanettt »

this pic is from a guy who want to sell this zebra to me. (around 3 inches) i only have one pic right now so can you give me a hand on this?
Jojoyojimbi
Obsessed!!

Post by Jojoyojimbi »

looks kind of scrawny... sure it's healthy?
chanettt
Obsessed!!

Post by chanettt »

it's hard to find some zebra around here so i guess not much choice to choose. however, it's down to me to fattern it up. (if i decide to buy it :wink: )
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

nobody can tell the gender from that picture chanettt. Ask for more, especially one from right above (with a visible ruler) and one profile of the head.
chanettt
Obsessed!!

Post by chanettt »

i already email that guy for more pictures i guess he will send me more tomorrow.actually he just post for sell today so i contact him right away. thank you for advice McEve & Jojoyojimbi.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

On the other hand, that said - is gender important to you at this stage? :)

If the price is reasonable, go for it ;)
chanettt
Obsessed!!

Post by chanettt »

i will go for it for sure but just wish this one is a girl.(but have weird feeling that it is a boy :? again) as i have a limited budget so three mores to buy.( already have one male) so if this one is a male again so it's a tough task to find 2 more females. however, this guy ask me for 212.5 USD which is a good deal for this size but have to make sure that it's really 3 inches.

how long does it take for zebra to change from 2 to 2.5 and from 2.5 to 3 inches?
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

chanettt wrote:how long does it take for zebra to change from 2 to 2.5 and from 2.5 to 3 inches?
That's very hard to say, as it seems to me it's very individual, depending on what kind of food they get, what kind of water conditions - and - they grow in periods as well. they can stay 5cm for ages, then grow to 7 in a matter of two months. As far as I have noticed.

Sorry I can't be of more help :(
Jojoyojimbi
Obsessed!!

Post by Jojoyojimbi »

chanettt wrote:how long does it take for zebra to change from 2 to 2.5 and from 2.5 to 3 inches?
too long, if only they'd grow as fast as guppies, then I could have as many as I'd like to have
chanettt
Obsessed!!

Post by chanettt »

so if this one is around 3 inches as that guy said then this will safe a lot of time for me as i can start breeding faster :P
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

If it is, and you find a sexually mature fish of the other sex - yes.

I have also noticed that those who breed F1's report that they breed at a much smaller size than WC. My largest male in one tank is not the Alpha.

Guess what I'm saying is - size isn't everything - although it must be considered ;) Many variables here.
chanettt
Obsessed!!

Post by chanettt »

so i guess the best way is to pray for the moment to happen. all i can do is to create the mood for them :oops: