Which one first ?

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

rhino
Obsessed!!

Which one first ?

Post by rhino »

I have never tried breeding before and I am wanting to try. Can I start with the zebra plecos or should I try a different pleco? I really like the Gold nugget pleco but the size issue would be a problem.Avalibility is also a concern.If I can start with the zebra plecos then I can start setting up my tank appropriately.I just bought a Ehiem ecco 2236 for my 55 gallon aquarium.Is this a good choice?
Bobby
Jojoyojimbi
Obsessed!!

Post by Jojoyojimbi »

apparently all of the hypancistrus species are on par for difficulty according to people i've consulted, try any of them
dave
Obsessed!!

Hi

Post by dave »

Why not try L333, supposedly a bit easier, more young and you can sell them, use the proceeds to buy L46.

Also the L46's for sale these days tend to be juveniles, so a year or two to wait at least for breeding.

I am not so sure about the last post in this thread either, few members of this Genus have been bred in captivity, so I would hazard a guess that there are great differences in breeding. Whether it be PH, KH, GH, current, temperature etc.

So personally when attempting to breed Hypancistrus or any Plecos for the first time I would stick to species where the method is documented and can be followed.

On the other hand if the previous poster can provide evidence that they are all the same, great.

No offence meant here, but it seems a post is being made with no factual basis.

Dave
rhino
Obsessed!!

Post by rhino »

To be honest with you, I have my heart set on L46's.If I had wait to breed that would be fine.A question though,if I did get juvenile L46's,could I have them in with the L333"s while breeding?And if so,could you give some info. on breeding the L333"s?
Bobby
dave
Obsessed!!

Hi

Post by dave »

Just spoken to Tom Sharland who in one of his posts has posted detailed plans of his L333 tank, and they are breeding constantly.

Cave size is 1.5" B X 1" H X 5" L, he reckons as they get bigger they will need slightly bigger caves.

They produce up to 50 at a time and once they start they are as easy as the common bristlenose.

If you want more detailed advice then PM Tom I'm sure he would be more than happy to give you more details.

Take care

Dave
rhino
Obsessed!!

Post by rhino »

Thank you dave for the info.I would still like to try my hand at the zebs.I have been hooked since I first found this web page.
Bobby
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

NEVER keep different Hypancistrus species in the same tank, as they can crossbreed.

L333 is a Hypancistrus
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Jojoyojimbi wrote:apparently all of the hypancistrus species are on par for difficulty according to people i've consulted, try any of them
This is not entirely true. Som Hypancistrus come from areas with very low PH, while others come from so called blackwater (very soft water), and require it to breed, while others again aren't too picky, and will breed as long as there's enough food available.

Some Hypancistrus species are definately harder to breed than others.
Jojoyojimbi
Obsessed!!

Post by Jojoyojimbi »

our local zeb breeder has 204s, 333s, 260s, 066s, and a couple of others besides his 46s, he says they're no more difficult than the others
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

204 is not a Hypancistrus. Who are "the others"?

(part from the movie with Nicole Kidman, if you haven't seen it, go see it now, it's great! Really good ;))
Jojoyojimbi
Obsessed!!

Post by Jojoyojimbi »

my bad, 204 isn't, neither are his vampires

199, and a couple i'm not sure of
rhino
Obsessed!!

Post by rhino »

McEve wrote:NEVER keep different Hypancistrus species in the same tank, as they can crossbreed.

L333 is a Hypancistrus
Thanks.I am set on a L46 only now.Seeing the hurdles I apparently have to jump to get there only makes me that much more determined.
Bobby