Just got my first zebras

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

QueenDustBunny
Forum Follower

Just got my first zebras

Post by QueenDustBunny »

I just got my first zebras. Three of the little guys. 1 to 1-1/2 inches long. They went from the breeder tank to a 20 gallon long. I'm not so sure that was a good idea. Kind of feel like I should have put a larger breeding/fry tank inside the 20. Any opinions? I really never seen them, but I do move the cave every other day just to check on them.

I am feeding them some mini-granules and daphnia and some veggie/spirunella along with the food that they came with (not all at one time and all in small amounts). I got some frozen baby brine shrimp yesterday and the package said not to feed thawed food. When feeding frozen food to my other fish, I always thaw it first. What should I be doing, thaw or not thaw?

I have been feeding them alongside the cave rather than inside the cave, really just for cleaning reasons and not haveing to search for uneaten food. Should I be feeding them inside the cave or outside? It's always in the same spot so it's easy to find.

Any advice or ideas are always welcome.
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

First and foremost, here's a paper bag to breathe into... ;)

They mean thawed, like oops, left it on the counter and it's all mushy, I'll just stick it back in the freezer. Obviously you have to thaw it to feed it in the tank ;).

Feed them near where they are hiding, turn off the lights and check the next morning for the food to have disappeared. Other than that, it's just going to take patience and time. Congratulations!

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
madmoroccan
Obsessed!!

Post by madmoroccan »

Hi queendustbunny,

First and foremost congratulations. There's nothing like the first time you set eyes on your first zebra. Beautiful fish.

Try not to stress too much... 3 in a 20 gal is good for now. Just make sure you over-filter the tank and stay on top of your water change regime.

It's not a good idea to keep disturbing them daily. Just do as Barbie says... target some food onto the area outside the entrance, this guarantees peace of mind because it will be gone by the morning if you feed before lights out. As for food inside the cave... LOL You'll never see them again if you keep feeding them inside their cave... Would you get out of bed if somebody was doing eveything for you in bed? :roll:

Thawed frozen food is fine too... The way I do it is by putting a cube of the frozen into a food container and using a pippette (a turkey baster will do) to collect some tank water and pray it onto the cube of frozen food... No hassle, and instant thaw. Then use the pippette again to target the food into areas that the fish will find.

After the initial stress of worrying about everything, you will get used to seeing their cute little faces and get on with it.

Good luck. :wink:
[img]http://www.geocities.com/madmoroccan/zebcam.jpg[/img]
chanettt
Obsessed!!

Post by chanettt »

try to take a good care of them and don't stress them too much :D
QueenDustBunny
Forum Follower

Thank you

Post by QueenDustBunny »

Okay, I've put the bag down (for now anyway). Aside from cleaning up the old foor everyday, I leave everything else alone. Last Friday when cleaning the tank, I got interrupted (when does school start again?) and set the airstone down at an angle and forgot to go back and fix it. Saturday morning, there was a little inhabatant in there. NOw I can see one so I feel much better now. I gor some more fava moss the other day an there were some freebies in the moss. Snails. I'm moving them to another tank as I find them, little buggers.

ANyway, thank you to all that helped me. I really appreciate it. I'll quit stressing for awhile.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

If you're talking about the small black snails they are actually going to be good for your tank

http://www.zebrapleco.com/forum/viewtop ... highlight=