blue eyed panaques?

If it's about fish in general, or it's a little bit random, then this is the place to post it.
zebra_man
Groupie

blue eyed panaques?

Post by zebra_man »

who has these or knows where to get them? for im going to give them a go at breeding them, i have a huge tank, but dont know where to get them. any exporters or cathers who can get them for me i am after 5.
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

Trying to aquire 5 blue-eyed plecs is going to be practically impossible. BE's are far less common than zebra's and considering how fruitful you have been in your serach for zebra's so far, do you honestly think you'll be able to find 5 of the ole' blue eyes?

Any chance you can post pictures of your huge tank...would be interesting to see. :D
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I recently saw one for sale- large- $3,000.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
zebra_man
Groupie

Post by zebra_man »

Plastic Mac wrote:Trying to aquire 5 blue-eyed plecs is going to be practically impossible. BE's are far less common than zebra's and considering how fruitful you have been in your serach for zebra's so far, do you honestly think you'll be able to find 5 of the ole' blue eyes?

Any chance you can post pictures of your huge tank...would be interesting to see. :D
its being made at the moment, but i have to keep delaying it for the $$ issue, i hope to get them all by March

Ive had myself a breeder in England thats going to give me 6 adults (3m,3f) for $650GBP.
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi There Zebra_man.

I would be very cautious about parting with your money. If the person in the uk is offering you Blue eyed Panaques, make sure they are either Suttoni or cochliodon. As far as I aware they have not yet been bred in captivity in the aquarium trade.

They do appear for sale every now and again, but the costs are often so rediculous they are not sold.

If the "Breeder" insists that they are blue eyed panaques, get him /her to send you some photo's of both the young and the adults.

rob
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

There are a couple of old sayings that come to mind:

If a deal seems too good to be true, it probably isn't.

Theres a sucker born every minute.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
zebra_man
Groupie

Post by zebra_man »

im going to be picking them up, so id be willing to travel anywhere, aslong as its worth it. Like im trying to get a person in america to get me 5 then fly over and collect them and bring them back, hopefully no risk.
dave
Obsessed!!

I'm puzzled

Post by dave »

There appears to be two species that I can find reference to which Rob refers to above and there maybe more.

One from Venzuela and one from Columbia, are they both expensive?

I ask this as Trimar Aquaria in the UK was offering Blue Eyed Panaques earlier in the year for £25 or £30 each.

By the way I have no desire to keep this fish. It strikes me that with the above prices that I have mentioned one is readily available, albeit seasonally, and the other is not hence the price of £1000 upwards.

I appreciate it is not the correct forum to mention this fish in, but it has been mentioned rather a lot.

I only mention this as Zebraman is talking about a trip to the US, and if he is collecting the cheaper fish it might influence his decision to go.

Any clarification on these Blue Eyed Plecs would be most welcome.

Dave
Shimmy
Groupie

Post by Shimmy »

The confusion comes due to the scientific name of the blue eyed panaque.

Originally stated as panaque suttoni several years ago, it was then agreed thatat both a male and female where the descoverers of this fish so the name was altered to panaque suttonorum.

As Rob pointed out, the true name fro the blue eyed panaque is panaque cochliodon (Steindachner, 1879).

Panaque suttoni is a completely different species. as Dave warned I would seriously connsider what you are buying and would insist on pictures before enduring a long flight.

If you are still unsure post what pictures you get on here..

I have had two offers of £1,000 rebuffed on different occasions by different people.

Air on the side of caution
Jojoyojimbi
Obsessed!!

Post by Jojoyojimbi »

buy a ticket to columbia and a net and go catch them yourself, then you know where they came from, and what kind they are
zebra_man
Groupie

Post by zebra_man »

Jojoyojimbi wrote:buy a ticket to columbia and a net and go catch them yourself, then you know where they came from, and what kind they are
I wish, the plecos have either been wiped out for toxic waste, or they plecos are found in gorilla teritory. So theirs no chance im going to risk my life for them, good idea though.
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

It's guerrilla, totally different critter.

Anyone offering to sell you 5 is yanking your chain and is probably shocked that you're going along with it. If you REALLY want to make a difference in the fish industry, purchase some fish that are available to you there, grow them out, and attempt to spawn them, just like all the rest of us. I'd love to see you be successful at something, rather than just constantly come up with some new dream to dither around about until something else catches your eye. If you can't stay focussed on a project long enough to do that, you might rethink your direction in fishkeeping away from breeding anyway, no?

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
dave
Obsessed!!

A few of points

Post by dave »

I agree with the last post and I would like to add a few things.

If you want to breed plecs and make a bit of money, the Common Ancistrus, Brown, Albino, Longfin whatever will generate a greater financial gain than any other Plec I can think of.

Guess selling these pays for my fish habit.

If there is one fish that I own that takes preference over every other fish I own it is the L255, can I breed them? No, but I keep on trying.

I would say to anybody who is thinking of breeding species that have not been bred before you better love that particular fish, because the likelihood is that your going to fail.

In addition if somebody doesn't have any experience in breeding fish the likelihood of not breeding is even greater, even with supposedly difficult to breed fish where it is well documented on how to do it.

So people, I think the dream of getting rich off breeding fish, while possible, so is winning the lottery, so we all know the chances.

If you like a fish then keep it, if it's the price tag that attracts you then you are only inflating the price and reducing the chance of somebody who loves the fish keeping it, and breeding it.

I think this site was founded on the love of L46.

Take care all

Dave
chanettt
Obsessed!!

Post by chanettt »

from any reason of getting blue eyes panaques, i hope wish you success from what you are doing.

chanettt
Rantosa

Post by Rantosa »

sweeeeeeeeeeet another L255 lover.. I am not aware of anyone else who has this species as a colony in New Zealand. They are so kool 8)
I am currently in the process of setting up more tanks for all my plecos so each type has its own tank.