Why is a Zebra Plec like a bank account?

If it's about fish in general, or it's a little bit random, then this is the place to post it.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Jojoyojimbi wrote: How many nonhobbyists realize how rare they are? How many people know how rare the panda is though, or the tiger?

face it, fish aren't going to get a lot of attention outside of fish fans
How very true. I think most people know about the rare mammals, but fish don't get the same attention.

I overheard in a LFS that had Zebras last year: " oh look at that fish, they look like candy!" When they heard the price they didn't want the candy after all.... :lol:
Alistair
Obsessed!!

Post by Alistair »

How about Japenese Koi, they are not a rare species, however because of their own beauty they can command a price of many £1000's and people will still by them because of their so-called exclusivity!

Unless there are more people out there like Dave who willing (or brave enough) to buck the trend and spread them about then this fish could go a similar way as 1st class koi.

The idea of lower price zebs also works both ways.If the recipiant does manage to bread the fish, they must be willing to pass on the some brood back to their supplier to increase the gene pool or to other potential zeb keepers.
Jojoyojimbi
Obsessed!!

Post by Jojoyojimbi »

McEve wrote:
Jojoyojimbi wrote: How many nonhobbyists realize how rare they are? How many people know how rare the panda is though, or the tiger?

face it, fish aren't going to get a lot of attention outside of fish fans
I overheard in a LFS that had Zebras last year: " oh look at that fish, they look like candy!" When they heard the price they didn't want the candy after all.... :lol:
Yeah, and how many people back in the 90s (like myself) saw the zebs and had to have them at their 30-75 dollar price tag? Had it not been for the internet I would have never known all i know about them at this point in time simply because in the 6 month period my LFS at the time got in a total of 3... each one i got while still in the shipping bag.

Due to some unfortunately stupid people on Camp Lejeune, i had to get rid of my aquariums(someone got bitten by a copperhead they were keeping and the base general said, no more at all) I had to give them to a buddy since my LFS would only offer me store credit... wtf was i going to do with store credit and no tanks?

anyway, my buddy liked them so much he bought more and did eventually end up breeding them but I had lost contact with him before i was out of the marines and never managed to get any fry off of him =(

now i'm taking all the neccesary precautions before i reinvest in the little darlings, and because of how rare they are i'm not going to get any until i'm relatively sure that i can breed them with some success so that i'm not simply removing fish from the breeding populations for my own enjoyment
QueenDustBunny
Forum Follower

Zebras and help

Post by QueenDustBunny »

I would just like to say that someone on this site helped me get my first 3 zebras and I am extremely grateful. I drove 3.5 hours to get these little babies and drove them home. The tank is a slate tank, bottom and back, with nice caves, fava moss, foxtail and some other plant that I can't remember. The total initial cost is (guessing) around $800 and I'm still not done yet. I would like another airstone and eventually a powerhead. These things will all come with patience (unless the opportunity for more zebras come along first :lol: )
rhino
Obsessed!!

Post by rhino »

O.K. Now I am thoroughly confused.When I found this sight and read all the info about breeding the zebs and all the energy everyone was generating,I got really excited.To be able to do something good for the zebs,and have fun and learn with my family all at once.And to do something challenging and suceed.But it seems some are just in it for money.I thought this web sight was to help people who were willing to help the zebs.And to quote Dave.

"Now this site is encouraging the captive breeding with a great deal of success which in turn relieves the pressure on the Wild Stock."

Maybe its because im looking in from the outside as a "Newbie".I would be willing to not charge for my zebs (when successful in breeding) so others could do the same.Am I wrong seeing it this way?
Bobby
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

rhino wrote:"Now this site is encouraging the captive breeding with a great deal of success which in turn relieves the pressure on the Wild Stock."
What's wrong with that...? The more Zebras we can breed in captivity the more the market will be satisfied. I'm not sure where the confusing comes into play?

Readily available Zebras will lessen the demand for WC at horrendous prices, and of course, lessen the load on the wild population
rhino
Obsessed!!

Post by rhino »

I quoted dave because I agree with him.What I dont agree with is $250 for a L46.Dr Foster and Smith.com is asking this price.A listed price this high will discourage many who would be willing to help increase the population.I understand getting back the money you have spent to properly house the zebs,and we all know that can be quite a setback.(My new aquarium has set me back $1500 plus).But beyond a little beyond breaking even seems to me being in this just for the money.
Bobby
crazie.eddie
Obsessed!!

Post by crazie.eddie »

The thing is, in the fish community, zebras aren't rare anymore. There are allot of zebra pleco breeders out there selling them, and there are allot of people still buying them. People who sell them at the market price are driving themselves out of the market. People are looking for other alternative nice looking plecos.

Look at it like gas prices. As the gas prices increase, more people are looking at alternatives. If everyone follows the trend of increasing the price of the zebras, nobody would buy them anymore, until they start lowering their costs.

Yes, we should encourage people to continue the existence of these species, but who would want to continue them if the zebras are going to cost them a mortgage if the market for them increases. It will no longer be a hobby but a choice whether to feed your children or increase the population of the zebra.

Keeping fish, we know it's an expensive hobby, even more for saltwater/marine tanks. I love the hobby, I love my fish. I would like people to enjoy the hobby. As I stated earlier, that is why I have plans to sell them at very low cost. It's much more appealing to me making someone happy knowing that they are able to buy a zebra pleco.
Jojoyojimbi
Obsessed!!

Post by Jojoyojimbi »

crazie.eddie wrote:Keeping fish, we know it's an expensive hobby, even more for saltwater/marine tanks. I love the hobby, I love my fish. I would like people to enjoy the hobby. As I stated earlier, that is why I have plans to sell them at very low cost. It's much more appealing to me making someone happy knowing that they are able to buy a zebra pleco.
Put me down for your first batch of fry at $25 each and let me know when they're ready eddie ;)
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

crazie.eddie wrote: It will no longer be a hobby but a choice whether to feed your children or increase the population of the zebra.
Oh please, lets keep this within the right perspective.
crazie.eddie wrote: Keeping fish, we know it's an expensive hobby, even more for saltwater/marine tanks.
Like you do here. Zebras are expensive. Blue eyed panaques are even more expensive. Koi are sometimes the most expensive. But like you say, what does it cost to keep a freshwater tank compared to a salt water tank.

It's all about supply and demand, no matter what kind of commodity we're talking about. Yes, this community is for spreading the Zebra to all that wants to keep them - breed them. But quite frankly, I don't think you'll find a breeder that will give them to you, simply because it costs a lot of money to breed a fish that is adult when it's 3 years old, and only give a max of 20 fry at the time.

What if we turn the whole discussion around, and say, what's it worth to you to get a breeding colonyof Zebs? Do you love this fish enough to pay what the actual cost for the breeder was? Do you expect the breeder to give this fish to you for you $20, so that you can sell it for $200 next week?

What excactly do you expext from the serious breeders of this fish? The ones that wont send you a snubnose, the ones that take pride in what kind of fish they let go?
rhino
Obsessed!!

Post by rhino »

If the breeder is so concerned about giving up his zebs he has no dought worked very hard for,then why not make a deal that he gets back 2 or 3 times the amount of zebs he gave to the new breeder.The proper information would have to be exchanged,but in the end its a win-win situation.The original breeder gets back more than they gave,and the new breeder gets a chance to breed also.
Bobby
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

rhino wrote:If the breeder is so concerned about giving up his zebs he has no dought worked very hard for,then why not make a deal that he gets back 2 or 3 times the amount of zebs he gave to the new breeder.
Becuase he doesn't trust that he will get quality fish back? I myself traded 8 fry with another breeder. 2 were snubnoses, 4 were dwarfs and two developed normally.

It's not as easy as it sounds to bring up Zebras.... At the moment I trust nobody but me (and Rob, Adam and Barbie) to bring up healthy zebras to the age of 1 year

I'm sorry for saying this. :(
Last edited by McEve on Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
dave
Obsessed!!

Hi again

Post by dave »

I completely support what McEve stated in his last post.

In addition decrying fish dealers for selling them at a high price, they have to make a profit and cover overheads. The wholesale price of these fish even F1's is going to be high.

Now just imagine if there were no LFS's or Wholesalers, imagine the cost of looking in a book and import them directly, well there would be very few fish in the Hobby.

In addition they can't sell any losses they have in transit.

I have adopted an approach and have made it common knowledge on this forum, there are others who I am aware of who have adopted the same approach and not broadcast the fact.

Bemoaning the fact that these fish are expensive, well I can't afford a Penthouse Flat in London, a Luxury Yacht etc.

Reality is that most people can't afford everything that they want and they accept this.

Dave
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Re: Hi again

Post by McEve »

dave wrote: I completely support what McEve stated in his last post.

In addition decrying fish dealers for selling them at a high price, they have to make a profit and cover overheads.
Even if they don't feel they have to make a profit, it does cost to raise these little ones to a size and quality that the breeder can be proud of. And quite frankly, nobody, or at least a very few of us, can afford to give money away.

At the same time, this is a community of ordinary people, not rich upperclass people. If it was, then maybe quite a few could give away their fish. I'm not one of them

Btw, McEve is a she.
Jojoyojimbi
Obsessed!!

Post by Jojoyojimbi »

personally if i were to receive free zebras under the stipulation that they're returned if unable to be bred by me within a certain time frame, i'd jump at a chance like that of course if i failed then the initial provider gets grown out adults, and i'd get some experience at least with them again

however since no one here, or relatively few anyway, know each other enough to trust each other with hundreds of dollars worth of fish (market value) to basically be experimenting with

if you expect someone to provide you with such a chance you're either very confident or have extreme issues of entitlement.... or both