Frozen food coming back to life?

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

madmoroccan
Obsessed!!

Frozen food coming back to life?

Post by madmoroccan »

I am feeding "frozen" cyclops, "frozen" baby brine shrimp, and powdered flake food... And for some strange reason I have found live cyclops in my tank.

At first not knowing what they were I did some research, I came across the usual suspects (planaria, nemetodes ect...). After ruling these out I started to look at what I was knowingly introducing into my tank ("frozen" brine shrimp naupli and cyclops). I was gobsmacked... :shock: They looked like a picture of cyclops on a web page infront of me :shock: . So on a trip to my LFS last week I told their most knowledgeable employee this and he laughed it off and told me that I had a case of planaria?

Over the weekend I caught some of these little critters and took them to my LFS who confirmed that they were indeed cyclops (the Y shape of the female gave it away). An apology and a ten % discount later... I felt quite smug. 8)

Knowing this, how is it possible that they got into my tank? And can they be resurrected frankenstein-style after being frozen?

I have looked for logical explanations and so far none have come to my attention.
[img]http://www.geocities.com/madmoroccan/zebcam.jpg[/img]
Jojoyojimbi
Obsessed!!

Post by Jojoyojimbi »

something like 99% of water out of our taps contain microscopic organisms and eggs of such things, i have a 2.5g tank set up with shrimp in it and i've noticed nematodes and cyclops in it, i don't mind, give the baby shrimp something to eat

i suppose there's a slim chance that the frozen cysts of the cyclops that you're feeding have hatched, but i would think the freezing would rupture them
madmoroccan
Obsessed!!

Post by madmoroccan »

I don't think the problem originates from tap water, though I do think that it is plausible that frozen eggs may be reanimated. Thanks for your response.

Another thing to mantion is that there may be 20-30 live cyclops in the tank at any one time, the zebs seem to pounce on them occasionally.

Can cyclops harm fish? Do they feed on pl*co eggs?
[img]http://www.geocities.com/madmoroccan/zebcam.jpg[/img]