Is this a good idea?

If it's about fish in general, or it's a little bit random, then this is the place to post it.
zebra_man
Groupie

Is this a good idea?

Post by zebra_man »

I really want ZP and i have rung ever wholesaler and LFS in NZ trying to found them, as i cannot find any i have to import them :(, so this is what i was thinking, set-up a small quarteen center and bring in some rare species and sell them off to make a profit of around $2500 and then bring in some zebra plecos, then breed up alot of stock then flood the NZ market to sell them cheapily, and i could send them overseas aswell, good idea or not?
dave
Obsessed!!

Hi

Post by dave »

A good idea yes.

Practical I doubt it, broods are from 2 to 20 in my experience. Growth rate is relatively slow.

There are breeders in the US and Germany who have at least 100 fish and still can't satisfy demand.

Good luck

Dave
zebra_man
Groupie

Post by zebra_man »

ok maybe the ZP stocks might be a little to hard to do from 6 ZP!

but i dont want to buy off exoticfinds becasue they are a pet store and i want to buy from the direct wholesaler? any people know anyone that wholesales plecos?
dave
Obsessed!!

Hi

Post by dave »

If I were you I would go for exotic finds and I know I may get slated on here, wouldn't be the first time.

They have a reputation for delivering fish in good condition and if they say they can deliver they probably can.

A fish wholesaler is in business for profit, why export to NZ if there is enough demand locally, a lot more paperwork for the same profit.

Localised breeders, it is unlikely that you will find one with the expertise or facilities to export overseas.

Also if your looking in Europe, well you don't get much further than NZ.

Dave
madmoroccan
Obsessed!!

Post by madmoroccan »

I strongly agree with with Dave.

I can't see your chances of getting any better than buying from exoticfinds. For reasons already stated in another topic you started regarding the same thing.

With regards to buying other exotic species... If that is your only option then so be it. But be warned! This may take a long time, so be patient.
[img]http://www.geocities.com/madmoroccan/zebcam.jpg[/img]
andrewcoxon
Mentally Certified!

Post by andrewcoxon »

do exotic finds ship to the uk?
My Pleco's:
4 x L46
5 x L174
5 x L134
5 x L287
5 x L257
2 x L236
zebra_man
Groupie

Post by zebra_man »

Exoticfinds will ship anywhere if you pay for the cost of it.

Yes i think exoticfinds will be the best to stick with, they have a good rep and ive seen some wholesalers tanks where they keep their fish and it dosnt look good. i plan to do this next year so i will build up the tanks and so on required and do it slowly. I also plan to get a part/time job to help my funding.
zebra_man
Groupie

Post by zebra_man »

these where the fish id thought of bringing across. Their are some very rare, and i am hoping that i can get them at theur smallest suze to save some money and grow them out for a little bit, and if possable breed them!

L02 Tiger Pleco (10)
L14 Sunshine Pleco (3)
L15 Candy Stripe (6)
L17 FlatHead Gold Nugget (2)
L24 Flame pleco (2)
L25 Scarlet pleco (2)
L25 Scarlet pleco Super red (2)
L25 Scarlet pleco Yellow (pair) (1)
L26 Blue spot Pleco (2)
L47 Mango Pleco (2)
L48 Gold Spot Pleco (7)
L65 Blizzard Cactus Pleco (6)
L66 King Tiger Pleco (2)
L81 Small Spot Nugget (6)
L27 Royal Pleco (3)
L114 Leopard Pleco (4)
L128 Blue Spot Pleco (3)
L129 Scribble Pleco (6)
L134 Leopard Frog Pleco (5)
L142 Big White spot pleco (2)
L177 Queen Gold Nugget (3)
L190 Royal Pleco (1)
L200 Green Spot Pleco (3)
L203 Royal Pleco (2)
L204 Flash Pleco (6)
L239 Blue Panaque (2)
L205 peckoltia (5)
L254 White Spot Pleco (6)
L260 Queen Arabesque Pleco (3)
L262 Yellow Spot Pleco (4)
L273 Titanicuc Pleco (3)
LDA18 Yellow Prince Tiger (3)

ill have about 25 tanks available all in differnt sizes biggest being a 6ft tank. Does height matter? is wider better?
andrewcoxon
Mentally Certified!

Post by andrewcoxon »

for pleco's height doesnt really matter, although the bigger the floor space the better and also the larger the volume the easier it is to keep the water condition high...
My Pleco's:
4 x L46
5 x L174
5 x L134
5 x L287
5 x L257
2 x L236
zebra_man
Groupie

Post by zebra_man »

i plan to have all the tanks joined so i can have around 1500 liter of water if more all contected to one HUGE filter and around 5 300 watt heaters!
NetsuaiAngel
Obsessed!!

Post by NetsuaiAngel »

zebra_man wrote:i plan to have all the tanks joined so i can have around 1500 liter of water if more all contected to one HUGE filter and around 5 300 watt heaters!
I hope hospital and quarantine tanks are also planned.

We had this same type of set up for the salt water specialty store I worked at.

Having quarantine tanks where new arrivals spent atleast 3 weeks in before they were moved tanks open to the public and then separate 10-20g hospital tanks in the back area of the store.

Just would hate to see if you have an outbreak of something and then your whole system would be infected.

Best of luck!

- Angela
zebra_man
Groupie

Post by zebra_man »

year im goiong to have a 50gal hospital tank on top, ive been told a sump isnt a good idea? what type of filter system should i use?
zebra_man
Groupie

Post by zebra_man »

BUMP
NetsuaiAngel
Obsessed!!

Post by NetsuaiAngel »

Here's my two cents:

It sounds like you're preparing yourself for a large endeavor here. The decision of filtration will be yours alone. Everyone has different ideas on filtration systems and what is the best and what isn't.

My advice would be to aim for a setup that gives you more control over the many, many, many, many factors in keeping fish. You want great quality water and to be able to monitor and control elements.

In the store I worked in (and please remember this was a salt water only LFS), we used large sumps for our display tanks. BUT we had a large compartment-like tank and multiple stand-alone tanks for our quarantine area and those fish had to stay in quarantine for up to 3 months before being moved to the display tanks (no matter how much our clients would try to bribe us to release them from quarantine).

A similar setup was used for the hospital tanks.

The employees did multiple water changes about every other day for this system.

The main question is: How much time and labor do you really want to devote to this?

A sump filtration is great but you've got to be mechanically smart and ready enough to maintain all the pumps and plumbing. My boss was constantly working on the tanks while trying to help special customers that we could not assist.

I admire your aspirations, but the realism here is there is only so much time in a day one can devote and this sounds like you're ready to take on a part-time career. Be sure and think this through yourself. Only you know your limits, not us. We can only guess.
zebra_man
Groupie

Post by zebra_man »

who know any large air pump where i can run around 30 large spunge filters?

Also any link to build fish room would be great ! :)