Where are we going?

If it's about fish in general, or it's a little bit random, then this is the place to post it.
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Now this kind of debate I enjoy, (even if i am on client premises and supposed to be working).

Thank you barbie, McEve for your kind words about the site, and thank you for continuing to do an excellent job keeping things under control whilst I am "bogged down".

Dave, thanks also for you positive comments it is greatly appreciated.

In answer to your question about he project plastic mac has identified, yes and no. There are two projects under discussion here, one of which is with plastic mac, which is the database. Plastic mac and his partner have very kindly offered to dontate a great deal of time effort and knowledge into creating a system that will hopefully give us an opportunity to analyse our "opinions" and experiences. As some of you may remember, Plastic and I had a rather shakey introduction when he arrived on the forum asking what use the stats pages where, and quite frankly he was right. Initially i was defensive, and then I realsied that he had a point. Which is why the stats pages have (apart from the register) have on hold. ( I am still accepting data just not publishing it) At that point in time we started discussing what could be required and he offered the services of his girlfriend. Let me reword that.. :lol: . He suggested that he and his girfirned could help out with a suitable database.

This is still happening, but it is no small feat, and will take time.

The other project however is something that I have absolutely no control over the release of information. If a friend asked you for hel p in an matter and asked for it to be in confidence, it stiffles the ability to shout it form the roof-tops. I am also very weary about what I associate ZP with. It is difficult enough to keep it what it is without the it being associated with other activities. (if that makes sense).

What I would say right now is that there is only one ZP project currently running, and that is the DB. If anything else arises you will al be the first to know!
:wink:

In refernce to the Zoo project, let me knwo where and when and I am sure I can find a few stripey things sitting int he back of one of my tanks. :wink:

rob
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
dave
Obsessed!!

Hi

Post by dave »

Well the Zoo project.

I am providing them with another 2 unrelated at the end of September, this takes the population to 10 as they started with 2 wild.

The next stage is for them to breed them, which may take some time.

Following on from this they will offer any surplus to other Zoos in the UK first, then Europe.

Now there may or may not be an uptake by other Zoos, depending on their priorities at the time.

As stated previously the knock on effect of this is that it has given me access to more Zebras, so with the help of a couple of others it is possible to provide them with unrelated fish over thext couple of years.

Thank you for your kind offer, and until the demand from other Zoos is determined they will have enough to be going on with. Mike Crumpler is my contact at Chester Zoo.

If there is a need to diversify his genetic stock in the future I will ask him to contact you, though I think this is unlikely in the next couple of years.

As for the second point about projects going on Re Dukerider, Plastic Mac.

In a thread started on Plecofanatics dated 31/5/06, entitled L46 Exportation Rumor, Raul a member of both sites suggests a rehabilitation programme, to which Dukerider replies this is already going on but very hush hush.

I'm not even enquiring what the projects are, but if there are several people trying to achieve the same goal independently, perhaps yourself and Plastic Mac should have a word with the people implementing these projects to see if there is any overlap and get together.

Dave
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

The Zoo project sounds excellent Dave. Good luck.

I am sure there are many discussions out there about re-habilitation programmes, there are also discussions about german stock holdings of 10,000's of fish, mass production by means of hormone suplements and forced growth.

I think it is the nature of the beast with zebs due to their high profile. :wink:

As for ZP our project is to provide a site that enables people, worldwide, to increase their chances of breeding this fish in captivity. Maybe this thread will bring others projects together. If it does, then superb I am sure ZP members will be willing to assist where they can. :wink:

rob
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"