Smile...

You can post piccies of your fishies here!
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hi guys,

Andyj, I might have gone OTT with the slate my mate thinks I should keep Mbuna in there instead :lol: , I figure that because I have a fair number of zebras the amount of slate will help to lessen territorial disputes.

ewee, I 'll let you know next week I should be done counting them by then. :lol:

Des, the last picture is a "regular" zebra not the large L098. I have a couple of these very slight wavy patterned ones , they were in the same batch as the L098. I've also got some of the ones with the broken pattern in the tail and one with very thin black lines. The more I think about it the more I'm convinced that L098s are a colour morph that occur rarely amongst L046. Swap a male for a female :shock: , Sunday any good for you? Must get a copy of the L number catalogue, none of my LFSs have it.

Now you know why I'm finding it difficult to get a photo of the second L098.

McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Get som caves from dr_gribb and put within your stone strukture and you'll have spawning in no time Adam :D
Adam

Post by Adam »

I'm half way through making the mark 2 caves, thanks for the right dimensions. I was planning on doing just that, incorporating the caves within the slate "wall". They are going to be put at ground level because I'm sure you mentioned that your zebras didn't spawn in the ones that weren't. I may still get some off dr gribb for the new tank.
DasArab
Obsessed!!

Post by DasArab »

Adam wrote:ewee, I 'll let you know next week I should be done counting them by then
Show off!!!! :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
DANthirty
Obsessed!!

Post by DANthirty »

nice looking tank Ad
that must weigh a tonne with all that slate in there, whats that little ring thing in the corner with all the very fine bubbles coming out? it doesnt look like a airstone.

Thats the same power head i have in my 30 gallon, does it still give out enough flow for that size tank.
Adam

Post by Adam »

ewee the arab wrote:Show off!!!! :roll:
Now look what you've done ewee you made me lose count. Now where was I errr..... 101,102,103........ :lol: :twisted: :lol:

Cheers Dan, I guess lifting that lot would be good for a couple of hernias and a slipped disc at least. :lol:

The little "ring thing" in the corner is one of these: http://www.hydor.it/inglese/ario.htm
It produces very fine bubbles that get caught in the flow from the power head and remain in suspension for quite a while.

With the 2 eheim canister filters and the power head I have calculated that the tank turnover is 17 times an hour. Do you think I need another power head?
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Adam wrote:
With the 2 eheim canister filters and the power head I have calculated that the tank turnover is 17 times an hour. Do you think I need another power head?
I have a turnover of 6 in my tank, the Zebra's seem quite happy with that :D

Actually, I wonder if oxygen might be even more important than the current in itself. The current in the wild would make the water very rich in oxygen, and it does take quite a lot to get warm *and* well oxygenated water. nature solves it with a very high current/movement in the water. Maybe it doesn't matter how you go about it as long as the result is water with high level of oxygen? :)

Just to turn things around a little ;)
DANthirty
Obsessed!!

Post by DANthirty »

nice little gizmo Ad do you know were i can buy one from?
the reason i mentioned the power head was that i wasnt to sure if if was to big for my tank, i have 2 x 2028 canister filters plus that powerhead which i think does 1100 lts an hour. how do you work out the total turnover?

Also have you had any joy with your electronic meters as i am thinking off buying a meter to measure the dissolved oxygen level. can you recomend one?
DasArab
Obsessed!!

Post by DasArab »

McEve wrote:
I have a turnover of 6 in my tank, the Zebra's seem quite happy with that :D

Actually, I wonder if oxygen might be even more important than the current in itself. The current in the wild would make the water very rich in oxygen, and it does take quite a lot to get warm *and* well oxygenated water. nature solves it with a very high current/movement in the water. Maybe it doesn't matter how you go about it as long as the result is water with high level of oxygen? :)

Just to turn things around a little ;)
Funny PT said that since he took one of his Powerheads off his tank our zebs have been more active too. But thing is water can only hold so much 02, can it not? I mean it cant hold more than its saturation point.
Adam

Post by Adam »

McEve, you bred your zebras with a total tank turnover of 6 and Barbie did it with a turnover of 30. Looks like you may have something there with the dissolved oxygen theory.

Dan, add the manufacturers rated l/hr for your filters and powerhead together to get your tank turnover rate. Mind you I'm sure that filter media ,how tightly it's packed and how clean the filter is will have an affect on the actual turnover rate.

I haven't got the digital testers yet I'm looking into something else.

Hydor air pump: http://www.aquatics-online.co.uk/listse ... 322&rets=X

O2 meter: http://www.aquatics-direct.co.uk/itemsv ... =718&type=

More info on the 02 meter: http://www.tmc-ltd.co.uk/aquariumproducts/test.asp
Dr. P
Mentally Certified!

Post by Dr. P »

Bejesus!! I saw the link for the O2 meter thinking "cool, I could do with one of those....then I click the link!! I think I'll just do what I'm doing and save my wallet from cardiac arrest. :!: :idea: :!:

I could get 3 Zebras for that :D :lol: :D
Sword Pies. As Good as it Gets - Guaranteed!! [img]http://www.refreshdesign.co.uk/dale/scotsmile2.gif[/img]
Adam

Post by Adam »

Another couple of photos.

L098, still can't find the other one.

Turf war.
Last edited by Adam on Wed Dec 29, 2004 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
DANthirty
Obsessed!!

Post by DANthirty »

Hey Ad
Ive just ordered the same oxygen meter for half the price its £99 from these guys if your interested,they are the tmc pinpoint ones, its were i bought my ph meter and my salinity meter from

http://www.animal-house.co.uk/acatalog/ ... g_223.html
Adam

Post by Adam »

That's a very good price Dan, I doubt if you're going to do better than that. All the places that I've seen it listed at are selling it for over £200.
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Hi Adam,
At least you have one pair there, female in top picture , male in bottom picture. What was your verdict?.
Des.