How to fatten a zebra up?

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

andrewcoxon
Mentally Certified!

How to fatten a zebra up?

Post by andrewcoxon »

hi guys,

i was just wondering what the best way to fatten a zebra up is..... it might sound like a stupid question (i.e feed them lots!) but its harder than it sounds. as some of you know i bought some zebras and one in particular was very thin and had sunken eyes. iv had them for 2 months now and he has put on a little weight and his eyes are not sunken anymore... but no matter when i seem to feed them during the day they never eat.... they only really eat at night. i feed them a mix of tetra prima, home made fish food (squid, prawn, mussel, carrot, peas) and frozen blood worm. i am now at the point where i want to really fatten them up so if anyone has any hints or tips please share them!

kind regards,

andrew

p.s also i want to know your feeding process... ie once daily, twice daily, little and often... only at night....ect
My Pleco's:
4 x L46
5 x L174
5 x L134
5 x L287
5 x L257
2 x L236
dave
Obsessed!!

Hi

Post by dave »

Little and often, my fish eat during the day but it is an unlit tank.

The diet seems a little short in carbohydrate. Try using crushed Doromin Cichlid Sticks, mine love it and it keeps mine pretty fat.

I also use Frozen Artemia, Bloodworm, Tetra Prima, King British Flake.

Dave
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

Warmer water usually is the key ingredient if the diet is varied enough, IMO.

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]