feeding the young

If it's about fish in general, or it's a little bit random, then this is the place to post it.
paulvh
Forum Follower

feeding the young

Post by paulvh »

has anyone tried feeding unhatched shelless brine shrimp eggs to young zebras (3 weeks old)?
i am not sure my young are feeding - it's hard to tell. tried baby brine shrimp, tetramin tabs, finely ground prima.
paul
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

HI Paul.. I haven't tried it myself, but I see no reason why it shouldn't be good. What age are the fry? The fry are usually quite avid eaters and you should see them going for the food if they are comfortable in their surroundings.

rob :D
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
paulvh
Forum Follower

feeding the young

Post by paulvh »

Hi Rob,
I have some Waterlife Shelless Brine Shrimp Eggs. it says on the packet you can feed them to juvenile fish unhatched. Maybe?
my fry (5 of them) are maybe 3 weeks old, very shy and i suppose because they are so small it is hard to see if they are feeding okay. As a worried foster dad i am trying to ensure they get the best possible diet. I've tried frozen baby brine shrimp, cyclops, ground prima etc but it is hard to see if they are eating. they certainly don't zoom out when food is added.
i've just bought today some frozen fish eggs and frozen daphnia as i saw someone on the website tried daphnia with success.
Paul
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi Paulvh

If you put your location in your profile, it migt be easier for us to help a little more. :wink:

If you a rein the UK, I can highly recommend zmsystems food. Ihave used tetra prima for years (alogn with corgette, bloodworm, cockle etc, ) and have not stopped using prima altogether.

I have started using the discus granules (large) and the fry seem to be doing well, with a good growth rate. I have also noticed that I haven't had any fry suffer from "Bloat" in a while.

rob
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
AndyAps.com
Obsessed!!

Post by AndyAps.com »

I can second rob on ZM systems.

I have been using ZMsystems food for about 3 years. it has been the main food for my zebs in that time (apart from the odd bloodworm/brineshrimp treat). its a high protien food thats also added with vitamins etc. i used to feed the bigger pellets to my oscars to and the week after i fed them zm they started breeding..............its also starting to get recommended in the magazines aswell. PFK's john rundle uses it for his fry..........

I can also tell you its safe to use the waterlife shellless brineshrimp eggs......i have the same packet..........i have fed fry (corydoras) on them before and they loved em. if the turnover in your tank isn't to high you will also see the odd on that escaped hatch and turninto a shrimp only to be eaten by the bigger fish. They are really easy to hatch to........try it.
success is a journey full of unbelievable experiance NOT a destination with an unbelievable experiance.