One new fry and one lost fry found again!

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Cascudo
Obsessed!!

One new fry and one lost fry found again!

Post by Cascudo »

I have good news!

Today I lifted up the breeding tube for having a look inside it. My male has been inside it for quite a while after some courting activity.
The first surprise was a youngster clinging on the tube, quite big already! While I thought that all the fry of the first breed had already died!
Secondly I found one new fry inside, still with a yolk sac on it, so I decided to leave it with his dad, at least until the yolk sac is absorbed.

I am very happy that at least one baby survived and that my zebra's continue to breed!

Also the algue problem in this tank is completely resolved!
I tried what Adam advised me and I decreased the lighting time to 6 hours a day. All the blue algue died and I could easily siphon the dead algue up. After a while I increased the lighting hours to 8 hours a day and it is still alright.
The rest of the job is done by my little army of ten Armano shrimp that do a great job at both grazing the algue short (they resemble a herd of cows) and cleaning up the food left overs.
This tank never has been so clean before!

Thanks Adam, for the advice!
Last edited by Cascudo on Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fishboy20
Groupie

Post by fishboy20 »

Glad to hear of your find! Good luck and hope you have many more spawns to come.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hi Cascudo,

Great news about the fry and it's good to hear that you've beaten the algae problem too, only too happy to help mate.

I was thinking about getting some Armano shrimp but I read somewhere that they can't take the warm temps that the zebras like. However your lot seem to be doing alright. I have a bit of hair algae in the zebras tank, not a problem yet. Are the shrimp managing to keep the algae at bay?
If they are as good as I've heard I will get some.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

I've been convinced to get some of those little buggers as well. I don't care much for how they look, but like you say Adam, if they are as good as they say then I'll have some :D
Cascudo
Obsessed!!

Post by Cascudo »

Hi Adam,

I must say that I am quite enthusiastic about my Armano shrimps.
They seem to be very happy in the warm zebra tank and are growing fast (every few days I find an empty skin in the tank).
I think that their feeding behaviour cuts on both sides. They spend a lot of time on grazing algues and after feeding they clean up all the food left overs, which probably prevents excessive algue grow.
Also they manage to reach places (small leaved plants and holes in decoration pieces) that pleco's don't manage to clean.
Hair algue is visible, but it is cut really short.
It is generally advised to have a reasonable number of Armano's. Both for being able to control the algue and because they really seem to appreciate the company and feel more secure to move around.
I had bought 10 to be on the safe side.
Although the zebra's get easily startled by sudden movements of bigger fish, they seem to completely ignore the armano's.
I also think that they are not a danger for the baby-zebra's. Their paws are very small, although they manage to get a grip on bloodworms.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hi Cascudo,

You've convinced me, I'll get some the next time I'm at my LFS. At least there will be something to look at in the zebra tank as they are always hiding. :x

Do you think that 10 is a good number to start with for a 200 ltr tank?

Thanks
Cascudo
Obsessed!!

Post by Cascudo »

10 should be plenty. I have also got 10 for my 160 ltr tank.

Don't despair when in the beginning the shrimps are hiding as well. In my experience it takes a little time before they come out. But it helps a lot when they are in a group.

Maybe you could try to add some calmly moving or small fish to let your zebra's come out more often.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Thanks for the info Cascudo,

They have now been added to the long shopping list of things I need to get from my LFS, I haven't been for a while and I'm starting to suffer from withdrawal symptoms. :lol:

Did your zebras breed while the shrimp and the gourami were in your tank?
Cascudo
Obsessed!!

Post by Cascudo »

In fact the first time they bred in the 160 liter tank when it was overstocked:
- 5 gouramis
- 10 cardinals
- 17 rasbora hengeli
- 2 synodontis petricola
- 2 prawns
- 5 marbled hatchet fish
- 2 apistogramma cacatoides

In fact it seems a miracle that they bred at all!

The second time the courting at least started when the shrimps where already in. I am not sure if the gourami's already returned, but the zebra's seem to come out more often now that they have company of the gouramis, although the fact that they get startled at times when the gourami's attack the feeding pellets.
I don't think by the way that gourami's form a ideal company for the zebra's, I think they are too big. It was more a emergency solution because the gourami's pined away in the big tank (strange enough, I thought they would be happy with the space), two of them even died!.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hi Cascudo,

It's amazing that your zebras managed to breed with so many other tank inhabitants present. Looks like the shrimp shouldn't be a problem then.

I took the plunge and got some today, if it doesn't work out they can go into my other tanks. I got 10 Amano, 10 red nose and 2 red claw shrimp. They seem to be doing ok, I had no idea that they were so active. It's quite fun to watch their antics, they seem to squabble quite a bit amongst themselves. Thanks for the advice.

Here's a picture of one of the red claw shrimps.

Cascudo
Obsessed!!

Post by Cascudo »

Looking nice!

Keep an eye on the development of these redclaw shrimps. If it is the same species that I have, they grow rather large. It is a kind of prawn in fact.
You don't have to worry, I have never seen them attack any fish, they rather flee from them. But when full grown, I wouldn't let them alone with small baby zebra's.
Last edited by Cascudo on Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. P
Mentally Certified!

Post by Dr. P »

Yup, these Shrimp can grow HUGE!! I recently had one that passed away and he was a real fiesty little fella. He must have measured 2-3 inches TL....was always first to the food and was forever try to claim the Zebras caves. Quite a character. A group of these would definately make for a great "cleanup crew". I will get some more when I have the time to hunt them down in a decent LFS.
Sword Pies. As Good as it Gets - Guaranteed!! [img]http://www.refreshdesign.co.uk/dale/scotsmile2.gif[/img]
Adam

Post by Adam »

I've really taken a shine to the shrimp, I don't know why I never considered them before. I spent about 15 minutes watching them this morning, I noticed that they like meaty foods as they were snacking on the zebras frozen brine shrimp. I thought I had lost one of them this morning when I noticed an empty shell floating around.

If I have to move the red claw shrimp to the community tank will they be alright with the three 4" clown loach and Denosii barbs in there?
Cascudo
Obsessed!!

Post by Cascudo »

When the red claw shrimp is full grown (by the way you will notice that it won't have red claws anymore and the colour will change from transparant to dark grey), it will be ok with your botia's and barbs.

I keep one full grown together with my three Zebra loaches (smaller than the clown loach) and with cardinals and Rasbora hengeli. I have never seen him attack any fish and most fish are out of reach for him as he stays just on the bottom and surfaces he manage to climb on.
Although I can't check if he is not snacking on my sleeping cardinals at night. :?
I wouldn't trust a full grown one with baby bottom dwellers however, like your very beloved zebra baby's.
His only nasty habit is that he is quite competitive for food, when it is about feasting on bloodworms, he will use all his 4 front paws to grab as much as possible and don't be surprised when he grabs a feeding pellet and brings it to a safe place to have it all for his own. :roll:
DANthirty
Obsessed!!

Post by DANthirty »

Yes i agree shrimps are alot off fun to watch i have over 30 amano shrimp, 15 red claw shrimp who have had babys, and 3 armoured shrimp and i did have some red cherry shrimp but havent seen those guys for ages :cry:
but they are all in my community tank, i was thinking off adding some shrimp to my zebby tank but wasnt too sure that they would get on with the high temp (30c) and high water flow. Ad what sort off temp you got in your tank?