One new fry and one lost fry found again!

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Dr. P
Mentally Certified!

Post by Dr. P »

Adam wrote:I thought I had lost one of them this morning when I noticed an empty shell floating around.
Mwahahahahahaha!! Ayep, been there, bought the t-shirt!! :lol: The first couple a times it can be a shock to the system! LOL

Have you noticed the little "brain type thingy-ma-bob" that they have?? Right where you would expect the brain to be. :roll: Next time you watch them feeding, pay close attention to it...you'll see it pulse and move as they breathe and eat etc.....very cool.

Anyone got any good info links on these cool wee characters?
Sword Pies. As Good as it Gets - Guaranteed!! [img]http://www.refreshdesign.co.uk/dale/scotsmile2.gif[/img]
Cascudo
Obsessed!!

Post by Cascudo »

Danthirty,

I keep the armano's in my zebra tank at 29 degrees celsius, and they are doing fine.

Dr. P,

I have found some in the past, I will look it up when I got more time.
Funny thing is that most information seem to be in German or in Dutch, it seems that these countries are more into shrimp.
Dr. P
Mentally Certified!

Post by Dr. P »

Cascudo wrote:Dr. P,I have found some in the past, I will look it up when I got more time. Funny thing is that most information seem to be in German or in Dutch, it seems that these countries are more into shrimp.
That sounds like the same links that I have found....even with a translation tools its hard to be exact on what they are saying.....although depending on which translation prog' that you use...it can be pretty funny to read! :D
Sword Pies. As Good as it Gets - Guaranteed!! [img]http://www.refreshdesign.co.uk/dale/scotsmile2.gif[/img]
Cascudo
Obsessed!!

Post by Cascudo »

I also had tried this, it's hilaric!
Adam

Post by Adam »

They sound like real cool critters, at least I can see some action when I look in the zebra tank now. :lol:

I'll watch out for the red claw shrimps if I ever manage to breed the zebras.
I was a bit freaked out by the empty shell until the penny dropped and I realised that crustaceans moult their skin in order to grow.

I only ever see these shrimps at one of the LFSs I go to. They had some red cherry shrimp in one of their show tanks, I think I'll get some of these next.

Dan that's quite a few shrimp you have there. Are the armoured shrimp those fierce looking ones that are filter feeders? As for tank temperatures they seem to be ok in the zebra tank but it's too early to tell as they haven't even been in there for 24 hrs.

Here are a few links I found for anyone who's interested.

http://www.thekrib.com/Fish/Shrimp/

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/p ... cle_id=135

http://www.fishpondinfo.com/shrimp2.htm#amano
Cascudo
Obsessed!!

Post by Cascudo »

Oops,

Hilarious, I am making my own English look like coming from a funny translation tool!
DANthirty
Obsessed!!

Post by DANthirty »

Yes Adam the armoured shrimp can grow fairly big around 6 inches im told, but they are very pleasent with all other fish and shrimp, they are fun to watch eating all the tiny particles in the water with there fan like hands. i was thinking off having a small shrimp only tank but i havent the space anywere.
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Hi Shrimp fans,
Here's a link to a very interesting and informative shrimp site.
http://www.shrimpcrabsandcrayfish.co.uk/
Regards,
Des.
DANthirty
Obsessed!!

Post by DANthirty »

hers one off my shrimps
Adam

Post by Adam »

Great pictures Dan, I see what you and Cascudo have been warning me about. I certainly wouldn't trust the red claw shrimp around young fish especially zebras. Those are quite some pincers they develop as they grow older :shock: , my ones must be very young specimens. I still think they are 8) though.
Cascudo
Obsessed!!

Post by Cascudo »

That is one impressive prawn you have got there!
It almost looks like a lobster :shock:

Am I right that you have two of them? It seems that one has bigger pinchers than the other, must be a male.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hi Cascudo,

Is it normal for the shrimps to "molt" their skins regularly? I am finding their empty skins on an almost daily basis, I'm starting to wonder if all's well as this seems to be a bit too frequent.

This thread seems to have ended up being about shrimp, sorry for inadvertently hijacking it. By the way how are the baby zebras coming along.
DANthirty
Obsessed!!

Post by DANthirty »

Hi Cascudo

Beleive it or not the pictures are all off one shrimp but at differant angles, i have around 15 of these type,with various sizes off which some are babys from some off the other shrimps( which was nice to see 2mm shrimp swimming about :shock: )

Ad my shrimps shed there skins but i havent noticed it that frequent,(but i have a lot off plants in the tank so wouldnt see most off them anyway) i think they shed due to there bodys growing, i dont think they would shed unless they needed too, i think they are all just sheding at the same time, so it seems alot off skins i dont think its any thing to worry about. :wink:
Cascudo
Obsessed!!

Post by Cascudo »

Adam,

I am also finding empty skins on an almost daily basis. At first I was a little surprised, but when you think about it, it isn't that shocking.

Just as me, you have got 10 Armano shrimps in your tank.
If we make the assumption that every shrimp sheds his skin every two weeks, this means that during two weeks you will find 10 empty skins, making it 5 skins in a week. This means finding skins on a almost daily basis.

I don't know yet if changing skin every two weeks is normal, but it doesn't seem extreme to me. Possibly the high temperature speeds up the shrimps's metabolism, and with this his growth and the rate it sheds his skin. But my shrimps seem to be quite healthy and happy, I don't think you have to worry about it.

Another surprise you will probably encounter are Armano females carrying eggs!
Mine are with eggs almost all the time, but please don't become too happy!
Raising Armano shrimps is extremely difficult, because the fry has too be kept in brackish water that gradually becomes fresh water, and that is the only way.
This has everything to do with their natural lifecycle. The river where they live in bring the eggs or the just hedged fry (I am not sure) to the river mouth where the water is brackish, then the fry swims up the river until they are fullgrown and in fresh water. The adults can only live in fresh water.
So probably the shrimp eggs will end up being a zebra snack! Not too bad though.

My fry is doing well. My teenager zebra is alright and last weekend I seperated the baby zebra from his dad.
I felt a little guilty but I can see that it is for the best. Now I can keep an eye on the little fellow and feed him directly. I hope to have a higher survival rate with future breeding but I am happy with this beautiful little guys.
Cascudo
Obsessed!!

Post by Cascudo »

Here some more shrimp fun.....
Well, it depends the kind of fun you like...

Please don't freak out seeing these pictures. This is another species than the peacefull red claws! So don't worry!
But there is no doubt that you will look at your shrimps with different eyes from now on...

http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=1029