Is my river gravel good for zebras?

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Piranha
Forum Follower

Is my river gravel good for zebras?

Post by Piranha »

Hi! Is river rounded gravel 1 - 4 mm (0,04'' - 0,16'') a good substrate if I want to breed my upgoing colony of 11 zebras? I know sand is preferable, but is such rounded gravel also accepted? I had sand in my tanks some time ago but there were always anaerobic spots in it, despite I had a lot of malaysian sand snails and Horseface Loaches living in sand (I know I had maybe too thick sand layer but I needed it for my plants). I also know barebottom tanks are easy to clean but I don't like how they look like (they are so unnatural). Here are two pics of my 700l (194g) tank with gravel inside:

Do You think that 1 - 4 mm (0,04'' - 0,16'') rounded gravel is good for my upgoing zebras and don't harm them?

Did ever anyone of You bred zebras on such gravel?

Thank You in advance for Your help!
madmoroccan
Obsessed!!

Post by madmoroccan »

Zebras have been bred in all three types of substrate (Sand, gravel, BB)...

So as long as you get the water conditions and feeding right you should get some success... A search would have dug up this answer.

Good luck.
[img]http://www.geocities.com/madmoroccan/zebcam.jpg[/img]
Piranha
Forum Follower

Post by Piranha »

madmoroccan wrote:Zebras have been bred in all three types of substrate (Sand, gravel, BB)...

So as long as you get the water conditions and feeding right you should get some success... A search would have dug up this answer.

Good luck.
Thanks a lot madmoroccan for Your answer and help! I'm asking because a lot of people here say that sand or barebottom is preferable (I don't like barrebottom tanks and sand is a little problematic for me). I'm glad my gravel is OK because I really want to have a success with breeding my upgoing zebras :)
madmoroccan
Obsessed!!

Post by madmoroccan »

The only thing to add would be that you might need to reduce the amount of gravel to a thin layer as it would make it easier for you to clean and keep it clean.

Let us know how you get on and please post some pictures once you set up your tank. Layout is something that is unique from person to person.
[img]http://www.geocities.com/madmoroccan/zebcam.jpg[/img]
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Piranha
Forum Follower

Post by Piranha »

Thanks guys for Your great help and valuable hints! I promise I will post some pics as soon as I set up my tank and have my zebras :D