Tricks For Spawning....

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

husky_jim
Obsessed!!

Tricks For Spawning....

Post by husky_jim »

Hi guys and girls!
In many forums and sites i have read that many people who try to breed fish are introducing to the breeding tank a confirmed pair of other fish that are easy to spawn in order to spawn first,so the hormones released in the water will promote the other fish to spawn.

(p.s. I have a pair of corys that are breeding all the time that i am thinking of putting them in there....is this a good idea?)

What do you think about that?

Jim
[b]Jim[/b]
[url=http://www.aquazone.gr][img]http://www.piranha-fury.com/pfury/uploads/1129493122/tn_gallery_1075_67_7031.jpg[/img][/url]
INXS
Obsessed!!

Post by INXS »

Hi husky_jim

I have heard something like that also but personally would worry about another species consuming the zebra babies,

A safer I have heard of is to use some water from the other fishes spawning tank in doing partial waterchanges and introducing the hormones that way.

I have not tried it but it may be worth trying.
Adam

Post by Adam »

I have heard of this one before, but I thought you are more likely to succeed if the species are of the same genus. Apparently it's the pheromones that breeding fish release into the water. If this is the case you might not even need to place the breeders in the tank just some water from their tank may be enough.

Personally I would try this out in a seperate tank with another Hypancistrus species, L333 are apparently "easy" to breed or so I've been led to believe.

It would be interesting to hear what the others have to say on this subject.