1-st babies of L-46

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

paletka
Groupie

1-st babies of L-46

Post by paletka »

Hi,

First batch of babies, I was cleaning my zebras tank and I spoted smal ofspring ( so far I seen 4 about 5/8 long ).
Last night male trap few male in the cave, looks like they in good shape.

Should I remove them?, I have 5 mature zebras in this tank ( 20 gal. long ).

Chris-Paletka
17 years with discus and learning new tricks every day.
L-46 is my new challenge
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

If they look healthy, I'd leave them where they are. My babies are kept in the tank with the grown ups. I will move them when they start to get to a size that I might confuse them with the adults. My reasoning is so that the offspring won't breed with the parents. I'd like to keep them separate for that reason. But as long as the adults aren't harming them (and mine don't) then I'd just leave them where they are for now. But that's just what I'd do. Someone else might be different. :wink:
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

I agree with Mindy. I leave mine with the parent group until they are large enough to want a territory for themselves. Usually that happens around the age of 1-1 and a halv years, that's when they're teenagers, and start behaving like it too ;)
CDNAqua
Obsessed!!

Leave em alone.

Post by CDNAqua »

Hi Chris,

No need to disrupt anything by removing them.

I would just make sure there is plenty of hiding spots with places the little ones can get to with out the adults trailing.

Troy
paletka
Groupie

thank you

Post by paletka »

thank you
L-46 is my new challenge
paletka
Groupie

feeding

Post by paletka »

Hi,
If I live fry, should I blend frozen food to make sure the litle ones won't
get stack with food in their mouth?

Chris
L-46 is my new challenge
AndyAps.com
Obsessed!!

Re: feeding

Post by AndyAps.com »

paletka wrote: L-46 is my new challenge

I think maybe english is your next challenge??
success is a journey full of unbelievable experiance NOT a destination with an unbelievable experiance.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Re: feeding

Post by McEve »

AndyAps.com wrote:I think maybe english is your next challenge??
Uncalled for. He's from Israel and most probably has English as his second language.

On second thought, it's probably Illinios he's from... but he could still have English as his second language :oops:
paletka
Groupie

English

Post by paletka »

Jak bedziecie pisali tak po Polsku jak ja po Angielsku to porozmawiamy.
L-46 is my new challenge
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

I love these :D

You were born in Poland and learned English as an adult? Moved to US as an adult?
paletka
Groupie

re

Post by paletka »

Yes
L-46 is my new challenge
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Hold your head up high and be proud you learned a second language. It is not easy! We will help you with your questions.

Not all born in England or US are free from spelling errors either ;)

As to your question, don't feed blood worms. Frozen baby brine shrimps are good, and also I have heard that Hikaris brine shrimp is small enough for the babies. You can also feed pellets, like Tetra Tabi Min and others.
Dale90g
Groupie

Post by Dale90g »

I use micoworms and baby brine shrimp (live food) for the fry. I did loose one fry when it appeared to try to eat frozen brine shrinp (Hikari brand), so I will not try that again. I had tried to mush it up, but a few larger pieces still got in, and I thought it wouldn't hurt - wrong.

I do use Hakari frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp for the adults. One of the reasons I remove the fry from the adult tank.

Not to hijack the thread, but I don't know how the others are able to feed the fry with the adults. Especially with the fast currents, small food would be blowing all over my tank (in the upper water column). When I do find fry in the adult tank - they are thinner than they should be - imo.

And good for you in learning a second language - indeed, excellent!
Dale
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Dale90g wrote: Not to hijack the thread, but I don't know how the others are able to feed the fry with the adults. Especially with the fast currents, small food would be blowing all over my tank (in the upper water column).
With a bit of planning it's not hard at all. I feed mine Tetra Min Tab, which sink to the bottom, and with the help of a glass cleaner I manouver it into the calm area between the cave and a java fern on root. Frozen food is red plancton and Bosmides, which I wedge under the Java fern on the other side of the cave, causing all the food to be swept udner the cave and over to the calmer area, while the java fern keeps it stuck to the bottom.

You can see the setup here: http://public.qtopia.no/catfish/Babycam.asp

You'll notice that there's always fry hanging around in the area where the food ends up ;)

The adults are doing just fine on this diet as well.
Dale90g wrote: When I do find fry in the adult tank - they are thinner than they should be - imo.
This is not my experience at all, on the contrary...
NetsuaiAngel
Obsessed!!

Post by NetsuaiAngel »

Dale90g wrote:Not to hijack the thread, but I don't know how the others are able to feed the fry with the adults. Especially with the fast currents, small food would be blowing all over my tank (in the upper water column). When I do find fry in the adult tank - they are thinner than they should be - imo.

And good for you in learning a second language - indeed, excellent!
You could also turn the filters off during feeding.

I have two bubble wands in the back of my tank to keep some circulation going but I'll turn off my main filter and the extra power head during feeding time. I leave them off anywhere from and hour to two to give the fry extra time to find enough food. By the time I turn everything back on, the adults are zipping around getting the rest of the food in other areas and the fry are happily fat.

- Angela