Drift wood.

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Adam

Drift wood.

Post by Adam »

Is it advisable to have some drift wood in a zebra only tank? I know that it is unlikely that they would come across this in their wild habitat. However I have read elsewhere that a number of people still add it to their tank just in case it is required by the zebras. I am aware that driftwood is essential for some Loricariids as it makes up a significant part of their diet, especially royals or so I hear.

I did have a bit of drift wood in the tank however I removed it when it became "mouldy", it has since been boiled for the second time but was put in my community tank instead.

What does everybody think?
wandj
Obsessed!!

Post by wandj »

I have never seen my Zebras "rasp" on my driftwood and have never seen any marks left on any of it. They just like to hide in it as far as I know. I heard it is not required.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hi Wandj,

Like you I didn't notice the zebras rasping at the driftwood while it was still in their tank, they just used it as another hiding place. Seeing that it doesn't appear essential I may just leave it out unless someone offers up a compelling argument. At least there will be one less obstacle to navigate around when cleaning the tank.

Thanks