Planning to get zebs

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

CrOniC

Planning to get zebs

Post by CrOniC »

Hi, im new to the forums.
I am plannin got get zebs, not sure exactly what kind. I am TOTALLY new to zebs, and havent done much reaserch. But they are amazing, and i would like to take care of them, aswell as breed them. I know they are costly, but im fine with that.
K so here are all the questions:
How big of a tank size do i need?
When planning to breed, should i keep them with other peacefull fish?
Do the like lots of plants and caves?
How many should i keep for them to breed?
Is there male to female ratio?

I think those are the questions for now.
The temp and ph and all that, isnt hard. I can go reasearch that. Thx again :D
madmoroccan
Obsessed!!

Post by madmoroccan »

Hi,

Firstly I would like to say that you should forget about buying L46 until you've experimented with some less endangered species.

Try some bristlenose plecs first, if you can keep those alive for a few months without any deaths then you are on to the next step... Last thing you want to do is buy a group of 6 or more only to kill them due to inexperience, wasting hundreds to thousads of pounds depending on group size. Sorry if that sounds patronising.

Some L260 (that's what brought me here) or maybe L333 or L66... Those are pretty much exactly the same as zebras in upkeep and water conditions. And would teach you a lot about L46.

But if you are adamant that you want to start with zebras...

Tank 3ft or bigger... 3ft will hold 2 males and 4 females (opinions vary do a search).
An external filter... One with a turnover rate that is 3 times that of the tank capacity. Eheim is highly recommended by forum members.
And caves... Do a search. In fact do a search on all these things.
[img]http://www.geocities.com/madmoroccan/zebcam.jpg[/img]
nesolb
Obsessed!!

Post by nesolb »

madmoroccan is right, they're certainly not ideal for beginners but if you've kept tropical fish in the past and you know how important it is to keep up to tank maitenance and the like then it ain't rocket science.

I suggest you do a lot, and I can't emphasize this enough, of research in to how the keep the zebra before parting with any cash; you'll be glad you did. You're certainly in the right place to get a wide variety of knowledge on the zebra as quite a few members on the froum have been keeping them for a long time.

You'll find the answers to all your questions in various posts on the forum as these have been asked before.

Hope this helps.