New Babies!! :oD

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Mindy
Mentally Certified!

New Babies!! :oD

Post by Mindy »

My alpha male has been hiding in his cave for a couple weeks now. I've not been able to see anything so I've just waited and hoped. :roll: He's starting to wiggle near the entrance of his cave today so I sneaked a quick peak with the torch before he bolted back in. I definitely saw a few babies in there! :D I don't know how many. It doesn't seem like that many but that's OK with me. I'm just so pleased to have more little'uns! Hooray!!! :D
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Hi Mindy, long time! :D

Glad to see you're still keeping your Zebra, and that they are keeping you busy :lol:

Congrats!
nightowl1350
Groupie

Post by nightowl1350 »

Congrats on the spawn! Hope you get many more.
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

McEve, I haven't gone anywhere. Just changed jobs so my time on the forum has shifted a little! I got another adult female a few weeks ago. I don't know if that has been a factor in this spawning or not, but I suspect not. There was already a fat female dancing around my alpha male for a little while before she arrived. I think I know which fish is the female this time, as I can see a female hiding away looking likes she's had a bit of rough handling. Does this happen during spawning?

Anyway, I check in most days, I just don't always have the time to stop and post as much as I used to.

And of course I'm still keeping my zebs. :) I have made some recent tank improvements also. Like adding a powerhead... hmmmm... maybe that's had some influence on this latest spawning?

I'll try not to be so quiet anymore! :oops:
NetsuaiAngel
Obsessed!!

Post by NetsuaiAngel »

Congrats Congrats! :)
nesolb
Obsessed!!

Post by nesolb »

That's great news Mindy, well done. :D

How many little ones do you have now?
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

I really don't know. The first spawn was only small and I had five fry, but one died. I was only able to see a few for the brief few seconds I could shine a torch past dad. I don't think there's millions. Maybe around 5? It's just a guess. I keep waiting for a better look and I'm trying very hard not to disturb anyone.

So, I suppose it's safe to say my contribution to the world population of Zebra Plecs so far could be between 7-10 young'uns. Won't know for sure until the new lot come out to play. It's not a huge amount of fry, but I'm just so pleased they're breeding. :wink:
nesolb
Obsessed!!

Post by nesolb »

7 - 10 young'uns, that's not bad going; more than my lot have contributed up to now anyway. :lol:

I'm still hopeful my last spawn was successful but I haven't seen any fry yet.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Mindy wrote: I suppose it's safe to say my contribution to the world population of Zebra Plecs so far could be between 7-10 young'uns.
In my experience you'll have twice the amount you can see, if you leave them in tank that is. If you remove them you'll know for sure, otherwise - twice as many as you see is a rule of thumb :wink:
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

I only saw maybe two or three in one corner of the cave. The male is so big though, he really fills up this cave. Just have to wait and see I guess! How exciting! I do love a good mystery! :wink:
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

Dad is starting to venture away from the cave sometimes now (though he was tight in with his babies again this morning). Last night I saw him in another cave and seized the opportunity to have a good look at the little'uns. I saw 5 teeny little babies, just over a centimetre, in the cave. They're just the cutest little things! One was venturing towards the mouth of the cave, but scooted back when the light shone on him. I wonder if there are any others that maybe HAVE left the cave and I just don't know. I haven't had dad raise them before so I don't know how old they are when they decided to leave the safety of their cave.

Anyway, just thought I'd let you know that I can definitely see five new babies. They are just TOO gorgeous! :)
ihavonezebra

Post by ihavonezebra »

congrats are you selling any as my zebra is getting lonely!!