External filters, help me choose... please.

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

madmoroccan
Obsessed!!

External filters, help me choose... please.

Post by madmoroccan »

Hi I was wondering if some of the kind member's of the forum could give me some advice regarding external filters...

Some good experiences and bad would be greatly appreciated.

To start the topic I would like to say that I have been looking into Fluval 404 and 405... what is the difference? And are the Eheim alternatives significantly better?

Kind regards

Bader.
[img]http://www.geocities.com/madmoroccan/zebcam.jpg[/img]
Raul-7
Obsessed!!

Post by Raul-7 »

You can never go wrong with an Eheim, just keep that in mind when choosing. Then you have to consider what kind of Eheim you want; Pro or Classic - ignore the Ecco's they aren't of the usual Eheim quality. I use Classics and I wouldn't upgrade them for anything, the Pro's do have nifty extra features. But for the price tag, Classics are a clear winner. Now that they include the quick-disconnect valves and the Eheim media (which is as expensive as gold), it's the perfect candidate, IMO.

Another word of advice, depending on the size of the tank it sometimes best to have two canisters instead of one. Especially when you're considering keeping Zebras.

Here's a great site with all the reviews you can think of: http://www.cichlid-forum.com/reviews/
andrewcoxon
Mentally Certified!

Post by andrewcoxon »

i use a eheim classic too and its the dogs danglies! :lol:
My Pleco's:
4 x L46
5 x L174
5 x L134
5 x L287
5 x L257
2 x L236
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

I have an Eheim Pro 2224, Pro 2028 and a Pro II 2026 and they're all fantastic.
I've used Fluvals before and they're ok but I much prefer Eheims and wouldn't change for the world.

I always had trapped air issues with the fluval...which was always a pain to sort out, having to tilt the filter to release the air pockets. I find the general running to be far better with Eheim, less running problems, parts seem to last longer and it's quieter.

If i were you I'd get an Eheim...I'd personally move above the classic range and get either a pro 2 or pro 3...don't go near the wet and dry's though. I've heard of too many people having problems with them.

Plastic Mac
madmoroccan
Obsessed!!

Post by madmoroccan »

Any tips on how long before media intervals, services... ect?
[img]http://www.geocities.com/madmoroccan/zebcam.jpg[/img]
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

media intervals I think are recommended as every 6 months (change half of each media)....I don''t think it needs to be done that soon, once every year or two would be fine I think.
My 2224 has been running on the zeb tank for about a year and only been cleaned once(not that it needed it)...it's still pumping out water at a rate of knots and had never slowed or broken or had the media changed.

Here's a quote from someone on a similar topic on another forum that I was discussing in a few months ago.
I have an Ehiem that is over 30 years old and still working; I have only replaced the seals and shaft bearings once.

I have a Fuval that is under 30 months old I use it for a gravel bucket
I think his case is probably an extreme example but proves the point nicely.

Plastic Mac
thebuddy
Obsessed!!

Post by thebuddy »

While were on the EHEIM subject is the EHEIM aquaball a good internal filter? I hope to get 2 of those to put on one side of the tank for more water flow...
and is 2 enough on a 55 gallon 4 foot tank?
Thebuddy is planning his tank
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

I use an aquaball 3 on the 65gal tank with a eheim pro 2028. I just use the aquaball as a final polish to the water...
Are two good enough filtration for a 55gal tnak?...If they're both the recommended 4ft size ones and you're only holding a lightly stocked community tank then I'd say yes they'd be fine..If you're stocking it full of plecs then I'd say no, it aint anywhere near enough.

edited to add: but I do have a tendancy to over-filter my tanks as I love my fish equipment as much as I love my fish... :D
nesolb
Obsessed!!

Post by nesolb »

I use Eheim filters on all my tanks, numbers 2222, 2026, 2028 and 2080.

As well as keeping zebra's I also breed Tanganyikan Tropheus and they are almost as fussy as our beloved zebbies when it comes to water quality. It really is worth pushing the boat out for a quality product, afterall you get what you pay for!!!!

I also run internal filters as well as the externals, mainly as back up tho.

I've just got rid of a Fluval FX5 to a friend of mine as it happens, as good a filter as it was I still prefer the Eheims.
Last edited by nesolb on Tue May 16, 2006 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jenny
Obsessed!!

Post by Jenny »

I run three Eheim external filters 2 x Pro II 2026 and one 2126 (with internal heater). They are excellent, quiet and efficient. I also run three Juwel internal filters as back-up.

When I first had the filters I cleaned them out, as recommended, after 6 months although I found that they did not need cleaning and I have now changed my routine to annually unless I see a reduction in flow.

I would recommend Eheim anytime.
thebuddy
Obsessed!!

Post by thebuddy »

o no this will only be for water movment i have a filter that came with the aquarium and i plan to have another these i plan to put behind the caves and rockwork

whats a good filter that a 13 year old kid could afford im going to be breaking my back enough trying to earn money for the fish heaven knows how ill afford the second filter.
Raul-7
Obsessed!!

Post by Raul-7 »

thebuddy wrote:o no this will only be for water movment i have a filter that came with the aquarium and i plan to have another these i plan to put behind the caves and rockwork

whats a good filter that a 13 year old kid could afford im going to be breaking my back enough trying to earn money for the fish heaven knows how ill afford the second filter.
But remember canister filters are much more effective than any internal filter is. On a 55G, I would naturally go with two 2215's. Which would cost you the same as buying a Pro-II. Ebay is your friend depending on the deal you're after; used is sometimes a great bargain - but a few missing parts and you're going to have to spend more than just buying a new one. You can get two new one's for $150; they come with everything and will last you for at least 15 years.

About the money part, can't your parent's help you out a little or are they trying to teach you a lesson in responsibility? I mean fish aren't as easy or as cheap to keep as a dog or cat. Naturally, you want to start out on the best possible start to avoid major headaches further down the road. Trust me, there are no short cuts worth taking when keeping fish.[/b]
thebuddy
Obsessed!!

Post by thebuddy »

I hear ya on the no short cuts deal, but my parents are in a financial struggle (long story short 9-11 ruined my dads old job) so i cant expect help from them expect Christmas and birthday money I have seen EHEIM canister filters on eBay but they tend be out of my price range when i see them, and then when i have enough i cant find any.

basically i'm going to fund this 55 gallon fish tank and hopefully around 6 zebra plecos with lawn mowing.

so now again i ask you whats a decent filter that i can afford easily does one exist or am i going to blow my budget on filters and not be able to afford fish.
and understand that THE INTERNAL FILTERS ARE JUST FOR WATER MOTION I HAVE WILL GET BETTER FILTERS FOR FILTRATION.

and no my parents are NOT trying to teach me a lesson in responsibility i have a passion for fish not dogs or cats belive me my parents would prefer I have a cheaper pet or atleast cheaper fish.

edited because i missed a not
Last edited by thebuddy on Thu May 11, 2006 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raul-7
Obsessed!!

Post by Raul-7 »

thebuddy wrote:I hear ya on the no short cuts deal, but my parents are in a financial struggle (long story short 9-11 ruined my dads old job) so i cant expect help from them expect Christmas and birthday money I have seen EHEIM canister filters on eBay but they tend be out of my price range when i see them, and then when i have enough i cant find any.

basically i'm going to fund this 55 gallon fish tank and hopefully around 6 zebra plecos with lawn mowing.

so now again i ask you whats a decent filter that i can afford easily does one exist or am i going to blow my budget on filters and not be able to afford fish.
and understand that THE INTERNAL FILTERS ARE JUST FOR WATER MOTION I HAVE WILL GET BETTER FILTERS FOR FILTRATION.

and no my parents are trying to teach me a lesson in responsibility i have a passion for fish not dogs or cats belive me my parents would prefer I have a cheaper pet or atleast cheaper fish.
No worries my friend. Search eBay for 'Odyssea CFS 4' (2006 model - upgrades include a better motor housing) or 'Jebo 828' (older model but just as good) - this is one canister filter that is cheap, yet good quality. I can vouch for it personally. The media capacity is huge! The flow is average, but it's a great filter overall. No bypass at all (which is the main problem in a lot of the other Eheim clones). Money well spent, IMO.

For water movement, just use some Maxi-Jet powerheads ($15 at Big Al's).

Ask some members here, maybe someone has some unused equipment they're willing to give up. If I come accross anything I'll let you know.
thebuddy
Obsessed!!

Post by thebuddy »

Nah I wouldnt ask anyone for there equipment but I would look for a less expensive filter that works fine as a pose to a big name brand.

Ill go look those up.

lets take this to PMs raul