What about this duo?

We all know how difficult it is to identify the sex of these fish, so please post a picture in here and we'll try to help you (or at least give an educated guess!).
Briesje
Groupie

What about this duo?

Post by Briesje »

Hi guys (and girls :p)

As you know, I moved the zebs to the rio180... The perfect moment for a fotoshoot... I do have three zebs, but the male won't come out of his cave, so I let him be...

I think the other two zebs are ladies, but I'm not sure...
That's why I made this picture:

They are 1,5 years old... the size is 5,5 cm (2.17 inch)... They never go into a cave, like the other one does...

Correct me if I'm wrong ;)
Keep on smiling... you never know who'll fall in love with your smile...
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

Honestly with all that fin damage, it's very hard to tell. What the heck have they been living with to mow them back like that? If nothing has been chewing on them you need to definitely check into their water parameters and consider treating them for fin rot. Sorry I'm not more help!

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
Briesje
Groupie

Post by Briesje »

They were always alone in a record 60...

The parameters :
pH : 6,5 - 7
kH : 2 - 3
gH : 10
NO2 : 0
temperature : 28°C

Is it possible that they attacked eachother?
Maybe the bigger male attacked them??

I'm very surprised to read this post about possible fin rot... :cry:

They just moved into a rio 180 so I hope it's a better place for them to live in...
Keep on smiling... you never know who'll fall in love with your smile...
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hi Briesje,

Possibly two males? As Barbie says it's hard to tell with the fin damage. I doubt that physical damage is the root of the problem as the fins are fairly uniformly eroded. Whilst your tank parameters are fine I suspect that you have substrate in the tank that is in dire need of a good clean.

My advice to you is to up your tank maintenance paying particular attention to the substrate and watch the two zebras carefully. In a cleaner environment they should recover by themselves. If there is no improvement despite your best efforts then I would suggest the use of an anti bacterial/fungal treatment. From the picture I can see reddening in the fins which suggests that the pathogens responsible for the fin erosion are still present.

Good luck with them.

Adam