One ugly zebra for sale.

If you are a private seller, then why not give this a shot? It's free and might even have some of those zebra thingies! You can also post requests for exchanging or loaning fish. Please refrain from posting opinions or irrelevancies in this section.

Zebrapleco.com can not take ANY responsibility for items advertised or sold in this section as they are free classifieds. Members not following the Forum Rules however will have their Posts deleted.

lrry93
Obsessed!!

One ugly zebra for sale.

Post by lrry93 »

Is it even right to not cull these fish. It might be rare but its dang ugly. Can breeding these cause fry to also have a different patern?

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/ ... 1146993720
INXS
Obsessed!!

Post by INXS »

When zebra fry are very young the stripes are broken and irregular, they eventually grow together and straighten out. I would guess that the fry is very young and small.
thebuddy
Obsessed!!

Post by thebuddy »

it says its 3 inches :P
Thebuddy is planning his tank
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Yup definately says 3".

I'm duboius as to whether it is L46 however, the shape seems a little wrong.

Anyone any other ideas.
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

I'm in agreement...although the pics are crap the overall shape does not seem to resemble a zebra. No idea what it might be though.
dj_speed_uk
Groupie

Post by dj_speed_uk »

perhaps a hybrid
Nick
twinspots_goby
Obsessed!!

Post by twinspots_goby »

I agree. It doesn't seem to be L46 to me from the shape of its head as well as the overall shape of its body. Never seen one so far, and wondering what it is.
L46 x 24 adults + 60 fries
Raul-7
Obsessed!!

Post by Raul-7 »

I know who the seller is, he's from cichlid-forum.com - the day before he posted it on aquabid he had a chat about what kind of Zebra it was. It definately isn't 3" though, he told me it was a juvenile. He's just hoping that he will get more because it's an "adult". That's the problem with Aquabid, it isn't secure like eBay is.

About the fish, the eyes are pitch black. The body is more flat, but it does look like a juvenile Zebra. Maybe the quality isn't too good.
INXS
Obsessed!!

Post by INXS »

IMHO, I think the picture is of a juvenile zebra - in the last picture the eyes are too big to be adult in relation to the body.

I have noticed that my juveniles usually have the broken pattern until they reach around an inch. I think the pictures of Robs show the pattern coming together at a younger age but I'd like to think it may be individual as is the striping.

Just because someone says it's 3" doesn't mean it is and even if the fish is 3" the picture could be from when it was a juvenile.

I think "khblock" on this site has a picture of a juvenile zebra in his avatar that is shaped similarly to the one in the picture.

Thanks to Raul-7 for shedding light on the size of the fish. :)
khblock
Obsessed!!

Post by khblock »

I think "khblock" on this site has a picture of a juvenile zebra in his avatar that is shaped similarly to the one in the picture.
Here is my avitar picture.

Oh, FYI...khblock is a girl.

My feelings are hurt, you are comparing my beautiful baby to a ugly fish. :cry: :wink: Mommy fish wags her tail at you. :lol:

Seriously, I agree, the fish that started this thread is ugly.

Here is another angle.

These pictures were taken shortly after the egg sack was gone.
http://www.blockstyle.com
http://www.bestfriends.com
http://worldwildlifefund.org
http://www.oceanconservancy.org
Adam

Post by Adam »

Looks like I'm in a minority of one here as I quite like the "zebra" variant up for sale on Aquabid. Then again I am partial to "mismarked" zebras. As for whether the fish in question is indeed L173/L098 I would have to see better pictures that include both dorsal and caudal fins in order to be sure.

We are looking at the possible reclassification of L173/L098 as the current thinking is that these zebra variants may be a different species. I for one am not entirely convinced, IMO the odd "variant" caught in the locale of L046 hardly merits it.

Khblock, there's nothing wrong with your fry. It looks perfectly healthy and normal to me, cracking second picture by the way. :wink: Both pattern and body shape conform with what I have experienced of similarly aged fry. Perhaps when you "cropped" the image for your avatar it distorted the proportions a bit.

Mommy fish can stop wagging her tail now. :lol:

Adam
gemjunkie

Post by gemjunkie »

You're right, that poor fish is F-ugly! DANG! :shock:
~Pam~
AKA:gemjunkie
The Crazy Fish Chick in Spokane WA
jerms55555
Obsessed!!

Post by jerms55555 »

If im not mistaken I believe this is glockfu's fish. He is a member here. I was trying to find some of his older post in which he showed he had a few different looking zebras in his collection. Im not 100% sure, but im almost positive.
JazzyKnots

Would you allow it to breed?

Post by JazzyKnots »

Would the anomolous markings breed true in its offspring?