Female in cave with male and fry

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Dale90g
Groupie

Female in cave with male and fry

Post by Dale90g »

Just wondering what the group thinks of this and if I should be concerned. The male has fry, still with yolk sacks, and a female has been going in. He is covering up the fry and she is trying to get under him, or at least repositioning herself around in the cave. I don't know if she is ready to spawn or trying to get to the fry.

If she is ready, would the fry be in danger? Maybe to make him more willing, she would eliminate the current fry. Or would she just spawn, leave the her eggs and leave the fry alone.

If she isn't ready, my only thought is she is after the young.

And I guess the another possiblity would be if 'she' is actually a male causing a problem with the alpha male with the fry. But 'she' is much smaller and I don't think this is a male.

Anyone have this happen or any ideas?
Dale
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

I've had females try desperately to get back in the cave with the male that just spawned. Definitely not an unusual thing at all. She shouldn't be any danger to the fry but I'm sure it's possible you could have a female that was more aggressive and prove me wrong too ;). Don't worry, the male won't let her in there, IME.

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
Dale90g
Groupie

Post by Dale90g »

Well, I don't think I had to worry about the male on the right. Female isn't in there with him any more. I don't know if they spawned or not, but I saw a little one under him.

However, in the left tank, dummy over there let a female in and he still has yolk sack kids. He has 3 in there, or had as I'm not sure anymore. I saw one getting pushed to the mouth of the cave, and I hope the other 2 are out of the way or being left alone. The female is as deep as she can go, with the male kind of on top of her. I can only guess what is going on there :D .

I'll have to let you know what actually happened - when they are ready to let me know.
Dale
Dale90g
Groupie

Post by Dale90g »

The male on the left had 3 fry, and a female moved in, getting underneath him, as I had already posted. She left and I saw the 3 fry in there yesterday morning. And I thought, ok after work I'll get the little buggers out of there. Well, I came home and the female was back in there, and was in there this morning and still there now. So I am going to wait until she is out and then, being as careful as I can, move the male and his cone/cave out of the way, keeping him in the tank. Then it is time to look for what ever little ones are on the loose. I know they are feeding in there, but they are getting mostly blood worms, and I have read they can choke on them.

If I am able to catch the fry, does anyone think there would be a problem moving them into another tank with older fry? There will be some size difference, but they all are under an inch. I would say the older fry are about 40 days old. I don't have another tank for them, and would prefer this to setting up a new tank right now.

Thanks for your input as always.
Dale
jerms55555
Obsessed!!

Post by jerms55555 »

The fry should be fine with the older ones you have. I have several aged ones ranging from 1 year to 1 month together..
On a side note, when i took out 5 fry this last time I couldnt get 2 of them out in time before they jumped back into the cave so I didnt think too much of it. The next day I saw a female back in the cave with the male and I have not seen those 2 fry again! I think it might have been another female inside which killed them! Im not too sure , but i know there not there anymore. So keep us posted!
BTW....how are you viewing inside the cave? Are you using a flashlight? Im just asking because I feel everytime I use the flashlight I feel I run into the risk of them eating the eggs!
Thanks
Dale90g
Groupie

Post by Dale90g »

In the morning it is so bright in the room I don't need a flashlight, the cave is angled (wasn't planned) toward it, and luckly the male picked it as his favorite. At night I use a flashlight, actually a penlight, takes 2 AA batteries, and one of the batteris is dead, so it is not bright. I do that on purpose. As far as I can tell, I haven't disrupted them, I still feed them as I don't want the fry in there to go hungrey. I also don't want the adults to get too hungrey and start hunting the fry. Two reasons why I want to get them out.

I posted in one of the other threads that one of the first times I saw fry running around the adult tank, it looked like they would jump on an adult, the adult would shake after a couple of seconds, causing the fry to get off. Then the fry would jump back on and it would repeat. The adult appeared to be a female that positioned herself between two of the cones/caves. With no gravel in the tank, the fry can get under them, where the adults can't go. Anyhow, I think the fry were getting some nourishment from the adult - even though she seem didn't like it.
Dale
Dale90g
Groupie

Post by Dale90g »

Felt is was time to get the fry out of the adult tank, and moved them to the 10g, found 6 little guys. I moved with the other 4 older fry. I'm glad I did, because a couple (older ones) look a little thin. In the 10g, they'll have better chance to get the food,and more suited to them (microworms and bbs)

It also helped that the 2 adults were out of the cave, so they must have been just practicing before. In doing so I gave the adult tank a good cleaning, took out all the decorations, wiping off the sides and bottom. Cleaning the decs and putting them back in. Put everything back in, slighlty different positions.

Did that yesterday, and today after work, I see 2 adults in one of the cones. It is a different cone position from the last 2 spawnings, but I think I put the same cones close to their original locations. He had taken the cone on the left, now they are in a cone on the right. Interesting, if nothing else.

I have to work on the right tank, but won't get to it until later in the week. I see one little guy in there with his dad, hope he (and any others) are still there when I have time. I have noted that dad has left him by himself a couple of times - so I think it is time.

When I mentioned the room as bright, it is from daylight. I have a glassblock window on the east side. It lights room well, and at some point I'm going to put up curtains. I will have to try to keep from using the flashlight and see if there are more fry from the spawns.
Dale
jerms55555
Obsessed!!

Post by jerms55555 »

Congrats!! :D
So I take it ou have2 tanks breeding for you!! Good Job!!How many fry were able to pull out? I also have two tanks breedng for me as well with a third tank of L236 that just spawned! Is your tank water different in both tanks, or are they the same? Also is one breeding more viable fry than the other?
Dale90g
Groupie

Post by Dale90g »

I pulled out all 6, that I found, and I'm sure that was it. I kind of cheated on one. I had netted it when it was an egg (male had kicked it out) and it had hatched by the next day. So, I had left it hanging in the net, held in place by the glass top. My brother used this routine when he had no place to put baby african cichlids - so I mimicked it. So I only had to track down five, and I think someone suggested a turkey baster to catch them - I got to get one of them, as catching by net was a little tough. The fry I caught were from different spawns. The older ones were a bit skinny, but I have really been putting in the bbs and microworms. Should fatten up, but a little more cleaning will be needed in their tank.

I had 4 older ones already, so I have now have 10 little ones in the 10gallon. The 4 are from the other tank on the right, and the male in that tank is the dad. So I do have 2 tanks going.

The male in the right tank still has 1 with him, and that is the tank I plan on getting after tomorrow. So hopefully he holds out for another day.
Dale
Dale90g
Groupie

Post by Dale90g »

I cleaned the right tank on Wednesday, found one little one in a wood piece in the tank. Unfortunatly, I lost one of the fry,, and I think it might have been this new one - though I can't be sure. There was still one with the male after the thorough cleaning I gave that tank - all decos out and cleaned, except the one that the male would not vacate. Had a baby with him, I saw it Friday.

At this time, the male in the left tank has a spawn, at least I think he does. He is doing the tail wagging, and he is pretty consistent with it, taking breaks. This is after the cleaning I gave its tank last Sunday.

The male in the right tank, he had a female trapped inthe back. No sign of the little one, though it would be tough to see it if it is still in the cave. Not sure if there are any eggs at this point.

I am going to try my will power and not flashlight them this time, see if there is more fry. Though if it does change, it could be due to other reasons - like they're more experienced.
Dale
Dale90g
Groupie

Post by Dale90g »

Just an update on my zebras. 10 babies still in the ten gallon, getting bigger.

The left tank, that I wasn't flashlighting ended up being a false alarm. The male had a female in there and was acting like he had a spawn, but then he left and there was nothing. Last weekend he was acting like it again, and he left the cave after I had fed them, I guess to hunt down some blood worms, and he has a nice clutch of eggs now. This male has done this in the past, leaving to feed. That is my chance to take a peek inside.

The right tank had 2 males spawn (I didn't expect that). The first spawn that I noitced may have been his first time. He kicked out an egg, but it fungussed up after I netted it. I was successful in doing that before. I don't think he has any other eggs in with him, but he is acting like it.
A second male in another cave has a clutch of eggs now. He comes part of the way out when feeding, and I can see eggs. Smaller clutch than the male's in the left tank, but still a good thing.

I will try to get a pic of the clutches, but I have to time it with feeding them. I'll also have to get another fry pic out too. Will post them in the fishy photo topic area.
Dale
Dale90g
Groupie

Post by Dale90g »

Sorry - I was reading back and realized I had not answered Jerms55555 q's.

Yep 2 tanks with zebras and spawns, and now one tank seems to have 2 active males.

I got 5 loose fry and 1 that was already in the net. Added them to 4 from eariler spawn already in a ten gallon tank. Have 10 fry in there now.

Both tanks have pretty much the same water. Hopefully nobody takes offense to how I'm doing it - as I had been giving them water straight from the tap - not even conditioning to remove chlorine. I have since changed to aged water, mostly due to concern that fry in the tanks would suffer. I suppose that it could be somewhat different in each tank as they are not connected to share or on a central filter.

Spawns from both tanks seem healthy. Not sure exactly what you mean by vaible spawns - if that is including fry and their health. Eggs are hatching in both, and I think this is still new to the adults, but practice helps. If some eggs aren't hatching, the male must be cleaning those out. The left tank has bigger females, so I think their spawns are going to be larger due to that. The fry for both seem healthy, though the ones that were in the adult tank longer, seemed skinny. I believe that is due to the not getting food more often. Being smaller, I think they don't feel as comfortable coming out in the open, and must have some instinct to hide.
Dale
Dale90g
Groupie

Too many males?

Post by Dale90g »

Not all is well is my zebra world. The 2 clutches that the males had are now gone. I think the 3rd male, that I didn't think had anything, may have a few, but it will be just one or 2.

Last night my brother came over and I was going to show him the clutches. I fed the zebras, gave them a minute, and took a peek. Both in the left and right tanks, the males weren't in their caves, and neither were any eggs or wigglers. Definite let down.

Now I hadn't checked them closely the night (Friday) before, but they were acting like they had them. I did try to take a couple of pictures - won't try that for a while. They also looked like they were gaurding the eggs and fanning the next day. Saturday night is when I found them gone.

The question I have, what do you guys think is too many males in the tank?

There are 9 in the left and 10 adults in the right tank. This is a 30 gallon tank, 30" by 18" footprint. Don't see a lot of fighting, but noted the male does leave the cave to feed in the left tank, and he chases any others away when he comes out.

I would guess there are 4 males in each tank - maybe more as we all know they are difficult to tell.

My first knee-jerk reaction thought after this loss, is to pull the eggs if the males give me the chance - and raise them artificially. I know this may have drawback, and read posts on the next generation not knowing about caring for the fry.

I am working on getting my 125g (got light fixtures, and will be building the encloser for them this week) up and running, and I plan on moving some of the males there. But that is still a month away, maybe more as this is going to be a show tank. I'll probably move 4 to that tank - 2 males from each tank.

I guess I am just looking for input (I did use the search, but came up with 519 hits, and didn't feel like reading them all, and I did read some) and letting others know what happened.

So here is my plan at the moment - if they spawn and the male decides to do walk abouts, after a couple of days - I'm pulling them if I get the chance. Once I have the other males out of there, and they spawn, I'll give them the chance to do their thing, and pull them after they have hatched. (They just don't get the food in the adult tank - so that is the reason for pulling after hatching) I'll wait until then to decide when is the best time to pull the fry.

Hopefully, I'll be able to post soon about a new spawn. Is there a emoticons that has its fingers crossed?
Dale