chlorine removal

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

thebuddy
Obsessed!!

chlorine removal

Post by thebuddy »

Hi i recently began filling my new 55 gallon to hopfully somday house zebra plecos but im low on declorinator and the money i have i need for a new heater and gravel and possible UV steriliser. I read somwere that as water sits out the chlorine evaporates or somthing and it becomes safe without adding chemicals. is this true? How long should i let it sit?
Thebuddy is planning his tank
aquaticclarity

Post by aquaticclarity »

The Buddy,
If your municipal water supply has ammonia added to it as well as chlorine then letting it sit, even aerated, won't do a thing. The ammonia and chroline bond to make a compound know as chloaramine which can only effectively be broken with another chemical...AKA a water conditioner that treats both ammonia and chroline or chrolamine. If you have just chlorine in the water, which isn't common any longer, you could just let the water sit filtered/aerated for 24-48 hours to allow for the chlorine to evaporate into the air.
As far as water conditioners go I've found that ACE (Ammonia and Chlorine Eliminater) by Jungle Labs is about the best. It works and it doesn't change the water chemistry (ex. effect the pH) like some products do.

Jeff
thebuddy
Obsessed!!

Post by thebuddy »

thank you ill look into that
Andyt.
Groupie

Post by Andyt. »

Hey thebuddy, aquatic clarity is right about that.

Aquarium hobbyists are going to have to start being careful about dechlorination, at least in the United States. Currently the EPA allows 4.0ppm of chlorine/chloramines as the Maximum Residual Disinfectant Level (MRDL) in tap water. I have been told that there is a proposal to raise that level to 6ppm based on the increase in pathogens in our drinking water.

Also, the American Water Works Association is now recommending that all water treatment facilities that are members start to use chloramine to treat water if they are not doing so already (sorry, no source, this was told to me anecdotally by a member of the AWWA). So, over the next few years it is likely that US aquarium hobbyists may see some dramatic changes in their water supply. Most municipalities will not make an effort to inform the public of the changes. In 2004 part of the San Francisco Bay area (Oakland, I think) switched to chloramines and several hobbists learned about it by doing a water change and discovering an aquarium full of dead fish in the morning.

So what can hobbyists do? I recommend either using water purifiers such as RO or DI systems or making sure that the recommended dosage of your dechlorinator of choice will remove at least 4ppm of Chloramines from tap water. Good news is, most of them do. But if you are not sure, feel free to harass the customer service folks of the manufacturer. After all, that's what they get paid to do! :wink:
Our problem is not that the world lacks magic. Our problem is that we don't believe in its magic.
~Marianne Williamson
thebuddy
Obsessed!!

Post by thebuddy »

hmm maybe i should but i think the stuff i buy works well and if it wont ill over dose its also desighned to replace/boost that slime coat fish have so the dont get sick or somthing so i tend to add in a little more then it says to anyway
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

thebuddy wrote:hmm maybe i should but i think the stuff i buy works well and if it wont ill over dose its also desighned to replace/boost that slime coat fish have so the dont get sick or somthing so i tend to add in a little more then it says to anyway
Please don't make statements like this as if they were facts. One thing is to ask a question, but when you start stating your opinion as thogh it was facts I get worried.

There are beginners here that might believe what you say is how one should do things, and that's very disconcerening.

Please check what you say before presenting it as facts in the future.

Just for the record. No "stuff" that aids the slime coats health will stop your fish from getting sick, and always follow the instructions if you need to/choose to use any remedies.
madmoroccan
Obsessed!!

Post by madmoroccan »

Thebuddy:

I agree with McEVE on this one... The slime coat booster's effects are negligeable... Be very careful what you write on these forums, people here who own L46 would be very angry if their fish died due to USELESS advice...

You are young and have a lot to learn yourself. Make sure the first thing you learn is to keep practices that are untested to yourself.

Sincerely

Bader
[img]http://www.geocities.com/madmoroccan/zebcam.jpg[/img]
thebuddy
Obsessed!!

Post by thebuddy »

Didnt i saw keeps it from getting sick or SOMTHING LIKE THAT? from what ive read on the subject...
fish have a protective slime coat this product claims that it improves that slime coat in some way none of that is my opinion. I dont often state my opinion i almost always state somthing Ive read or my opinion based off somthing Ive read.

let me go grab the bottle for you it says its for healing damaged fins and infectoin and replacing the slime coat and it also removes clorine/cloramine and its called Stress Coat.

From what my dad has told me that slime coat prevents disease or somthing like that.by the way its also dad that said it would be okay to overdose it.
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

Thebuddy the claims of that product are not proven. Believing everything you read, ESPECIALLY everything you read from companies trying to sell you things can be a dangerous activity.

Almost as dangerous as arguing with an administrator that's trying to keep from just removing you from the board. An action that would actually lessen our workload and complaint level. Why do we have to keep revisiting this discussion?

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
madmoroccan
Obsessed!!

Post by madmoroccan »

@Barbie
I don't dislike thebuddy, nor have I ever complained about him/her... I am of the opinion that thebuddy is harmless, young... foolish...

I feel it would be harsh to ban him/her... Though I must say, think of all that peace and quiet! LOL ;) Just kidding, others may not be as tolerant as I. Remember that thebuddy.

@thebuddy

Count yourself lucky you haven't been banned already, and I am probably your best friend at this moment in time.

But that said, you do need to think about what you are posting mate.

Sincerely

Bader
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

thebuddy wrote: From what my dad has told me that slime coat prevents disease or somthing like that.
So this is something you heard or something like that...?

Do us all a favour, don't post hearsay you're not even sure of yourself, and do not go down the road where you start arguing with the moderators. You've done that several times now. If you want to stay on the board I think you should take this advice to heart.

madmoroccan, I'm not sure why you thought Barbie meant you when she informed about the complains coming in to the mods regarding thebuddy. There are a few other members here.

The topic of this thread is dechlorinating the water
Jenny
Obsessed!!

Post by Jenny »

Don't be too hard on The Buddy, we all started out as some stage. I am sure we have all made mistakes and, I am just pleased that he is questioning everything to ensure he gets it right.

Buddy, I have used Stress Coat for some years now as a dechlorinator and I have always found that it does a good job. It contains Aloe Vera which, I understand, contains good properties for both fish and humans
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

For the record Bud, Jenny's not suggesting you dechlorinate yourself :D
thebuddy
Obsessed!!

Post by thebuddy »

yes I dont think thats what she meant either
madmoroccan
Obsessed!!

Post by madmoroccan »

McEve,

I knew full well that Barbie wasn't refering to me. The reason I mentioned it was because thebuddy and I don't always see eye to eye, and thought it provoke some thought for those that did complain about thebuddy.

And I'll bet those that did complain about thebuddy are a lot more "mature" and "older" than me? It sound like you're having a go at me because I am defending the buddy... Is this true?

On the subject of chlorine and chloramine: it kills fish. FACT. Use a water conditioner, ask your dad to buy you some.

Bader