It's only just the start...

An area for anything related to spawning. Share your experiences with the rest of us here...
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

I don't think they are particularly expensive. I bought mine off ebay for £30....so no not very expensive.

As for reducing the fishes immune system....yes it could be argued that it does. But only because the UV kills pathogens which may be harmful to fish and therefore the fish never catch them and so don't build up their immune system against those pathogens, however I still think the benefits outweight the disadvantages....they're damn expensive fish to begin with and if I can spend some money to prevent potential infections then I'm happy to do so. I'm not aware of any bad effect it may have on the fry...so until someone says different I'll leave it going. :D
andrewcoxon
Mentally Certified!

Post by andrewcoxon »

can you plz post some pics of your set-up to give us an idea of what u did?
My Pleco's:
4 x L46
5 x L174
5 x L134
5 x L287
5 x L257
2 x L236
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

yeah no problem...it would be a pleasure. :D I'll take some pics tonight...and try and get them up over the next couple of days.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Congrats PM!!!

I know just how you're feeling, I still get excited when my own zebras spawn although it's not like the feeling you get when it's their first time. :wink:

With regards to caring for the fry just make sure to put down enough food for them and they should be fine in the tank with the adults. My own fry are fed on ZM's range of fry foods, Hikari first bites, cyclopeeze and decap brineshrimp eggs ocassionally. I leave my fry with the adults and therefore have to overfeed a bit but I'm getting better results that way. Taking them and placing them in a breeding trap will also work, the decision really is yours.

I think you may have another female that you don't know about. The reason I say this is that it is unlikely that the same female has been able to condition up so quickly again. However you do feed your zebras twice a day so it's not impossible. If a male is keen and the females are in condition you can have "back to back" spawns with very little time inbetween. My own male has had fry from three spawns in his cave at the same time. Generally the older fry will leave the cave to look for food but may well go back to the cave for shelter.

I know what you mean, now that they have bred it raises another set of issues and more questions. Just ask away and we'll try to help. :wink:

Once again well done. :D

Adam
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

Thanks Adam :D ..I'm still over the moon 24 hours later.

I'm considering trying to get the ones I can see into the fry trap...OK I admit partly becsause I bought a posh little fry trap with it's own spray bar (I'm a gadget freak :D )...but if their too much trouble to find or it's going to cause too much distress to the male and female in the cave then I'll just leave them in there. I would still like to know how many there are though.

As for whether there is another female spawning in the tank you could be right. I''ve just got home and had another look at my tank and the male definitely has another female in there...but strangely the cave next door, which is usually empty (it's a little smaller than the others which is why I think it's unused) has a zeb sat in it who is huge. If it's a her then her abdomen is very swollen...more than I have ever seen before. Maybe she's waiting till the other female gets out and then she'll get in...which is now making me wonder. Could they possibly kill the male through exhaustion? :D I realise this is a long shot...but were my tank last week seemed quiet and peaceful now seems more like a brothel offering discount rates.
Perhaps I should just concentrate on rearing these fry and cross any other bridges if and when they happen.

You're right though, I hadn't realised quite how bloody chuffed I would be when they spawned..9 months of work, quite a lot of money and lots of travelling has finally paid off. Funny thing is...I was pretty sure I had no females in the tank, so in October last year I paid far more than I told myself I would ever pay for a zeb and had two (5.5cm) shipped over from Germany...they were both good potential females as I had requested and they're both still sat in the tank doing nothing. God knows what'll happen when they get mature. :shock: :D

Anyway, thanks for the congratulations and readily accepting to help with any further questions that I'll be putting forward in future. Although, I promise to search the forums previous topics for an answer first. :wink:

Cheers
Plastic Mac
thebuddy
Obsessed!!

Post by thebuddy »

Most people seem to think they have no females. Is it remotly possible this is one of those fish that change gender?

Your fry trap has a spray bar? What company makes it i want one :D
Thebuddy is planning his tank
Rowland
Forum Follower

Post by Rowland »

Hey Plastic
Congrats my friend!!! Awesome stuff...enjoy the little critters...and that beer to celebrate. Thinking of you.

Rowland
zebrastorey
Obsessed!!

Post by zebrastorey »

Congrats Plastic Mac :D well done and really well deserved
hope you have many more spawnings to come 8)
got to say though really jealous :twisted:
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi everyone, sorry for joining the post so late but once again I have been working away... Even worse it was in a quarry so so telephone signal at all!!!!

Anyway.....Wheeee-hey!!! Congrats Plastic, it's fantastic news, I'm really chuffed for you. Have you managed to peel yourself away from the tank to get more beer yet, or has the good lady been fetching it from the fridge!

Well done mate, you deserve the wee beggers!

I would think that if the fry are moving around the tank without yolk sacs, then the eggs were probably spawned about 3 weeks ago.

Which makes it highly plausible that you are in for another spawn.

On the subject of catching them, they are not that difficult once they go onto the glass, work them into a corner, then cup your hand over them so they have like a wall around them.

Otherwise, keep the substrate clean, and enjoy!!!!!

I'm experimenting with ZM systems food at the moment and the large discus granules seem to be doing good.

Anyway, congrats again, fantastic news

I'll give you a quick call later!

rob
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
madmoroccan
Obsessed!!

Post by madmoroccan »

I have to say, you are the luckiest man in Hertfordshire...

:lol: LOL :lol:

I am not too worried about my 60 or so guppies... The are 5mm at the mo... I keep my fry tank at 28 degrees... They grow turbo fast, I am selling them to my LFS when they get to reasonable size (Already agreed as I have sold them my previous litter).

Why do ask? You want some? Swap ya! LOL :lol: Nah I'm messin...

I do have ten from a previous litter, but they have pet shop written all over them.
[img]http://www.geocities.com/madmoroccan/zebcam.jpg[/img]
Frontyking
Obsessed!!

Post by Frontyking »

Congratulations on your success Plastic. Well done mate!
[url=http://www.aquarank.com/in.php?id=doctorze]Vote for zebrapleco.com here[/url]
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

Cheers Guys :D

Hi Rob,

Good to see you're back with us for a few days. I tried as you say to catch the one fry that seems to have permanently left the cave while I was performing a very gradual waterchange and after a little effort I got him. I placed him into the fry trap and he looked fine. 15 mins later I went to add a little more water to the tank and as usual had a quick look in it first. The little sod was sat there in the sand looking at me....then he swam off under some slate. I immediately checked the fry trap...and yep, it was empty. Little bugger had somehow got out lol :D
I guess I'll just leave him and any others in the tank..it's probably better anyway.

I haven't heard of ZM foods but I've found a site to purchase some from. I'll give it a go and see how they like it. cheers.

I have to say, you are the luckiest man in Hertfordshire...
LOL From where I'm standing I'd have to agree but I'm sure it won't be long in the great scheme of things till I have to pass that title to you. :D
dj_speed_uk
Groupie

Post by dj_speed_uk »

hey plastic, looks like youll have to get yourself a zp cup. now as you mentioned in a previous post
Plastic Mac Very cool! :D

I'm restricting myself, I'm not going to buy one until I have had my first spawn. Then I'll buy the t-shirt and everything :D
Nick
thebuddy
Obsessed!!

Post by thebuddy »

can we have some pics now
Thebuddy is planning his tank
madmoroccan
Obsessed!!

Post by madmoroccan »

Yeah, I'll take over that title in exactly three years if I am lucky! I am looking into buying a group of 5 juveniles... In fact I am collecting them from a good friend before the month is out... (You know who you are :wink: )

Plastic... Feel free to PM me when you are ready to sell some if any. Although bieng your first spawn I guess you'll be keeping 'em all to yer self, I will be watching with baited breath... Err... thats probably inapropriate considering we are talking about fish... I will be watching Keenly...

And with tremendous jealousy... I have to say yet again: Well done! pics soon yeh?

You the man! As far as our area is concerned!

Sincerely

Bader.
[img]http://www.geocities.com/madmoroccan/zebcam.jpg[/img]