Full grown size/ mature size??

If it's about fish in general, or it's a little bit random, then this is the place to post it.
AndyAps.com
Obsessed!!

Full grown size/ mature size??

Post by AndyAps.com »

Hi all,
im just wondering whats the average size fo a mature male/female zebra pleco?
and out of interest whats the biggest zebra plec everyone has? just wondering if anyone has any real monsters or if there is a max size as it were. im mainly interested in size of mature specimins tho
Thanks
Andy
Ill measure mine later and post.......maybe some pics to cos i need a little help sexing them.
Andy
success is a journey full of unbelievable experiance NOT a destination with an unbelievable experiance.
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

Mine are all ages and sizes so I don't really know a definitive answer. But my alpha male, though he's around 3.5" or a little bigger, his head is ENORMOUS. Markedly different than any other fish in the tank. I don't know if he's just freakishly chunky, or if all dominant males get that big, but I'm always startled by the sight of him when he's out of his cave. Giant, broad head. Huge. In fact, I'm wondering if I need to put a slightly wider cave in there for him because his head seem so big compared to the area inside the cave. There are always females pestering him but he hasn't let anyone in since that one rogue spawning I had. I wonder if he just needs a bigger cave... hmmmm... now THAT'S got me thinking.

I'm getting another mature female this weekend, so a little tank shake-up might be in order anyway! Change things up a little!
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

My biggest male is probably about 3" so he's still got a way to go on Mindy's one, which by the sounds of it is massive. :shock: but I would think Mindy's one is about the biggest size they could possibly get to.

Mindy,
I reckon you could well be right about your lack of spawnings due to cave size. I've certainly read of couple of posts or reports at one time or another with people experiencing the same problem and eventually finding the issue was down to the cave size.
Sounds like yours needs a flower pot though :D
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

I'll look for an old sewer pipe or something! :lol: Actually, I do have a wider cave just sitting to the side. I didn't want to change the tank after my last spawn, thinking it would change the dynamics and they wouldn't spawn again. But dynamics schmynamics... there's nothing going on anyway so I might as well change it up!