Please help me to identify the gender

We all know how difficult it is to identify the sex of these fish, so please post a picture in here and we'll try to help you (or at least give an educated guess!).
alvinl
Forum Follower

Please help me to identify the gender

Post by alvinl »

These are all of my 7 zebra pleco. In fact I am not sure how many males and females, can you all give me a hand to identify the gender of them. Thank you all at first, and I hope one day I also can breed some frys.

No.1

No.2

No.3

No.4

No.5
alvinl
Forum Follower

Post by alvinl »

Section 2~~

No.6

No.7

The whole view...

Another question is that I don't know how many plecos are adult, and if I want to try to breed them can I put them all in only one 60 cm tank? (with adult and inmature ones or mix male and female... )

If someone has any suggestion or other commend for my pleco, plz let me know. Thank you :wink:
zebra046
Obsessed!!

Post by zebra046 »

looks like you got one thorn in the rose bush the obviuos males is the largest fish good luck try getting another male and wait you are one lucky person.

Good Luck
alvinl
Forum Follower

Post by alvinl »

:? ....thank you for your replying

sorry, I am not sure what you mean?....

Do I just have only one male and all the other are female ?

If it is true, can you tell me which number is the one...

And all of them have lived in my 60 cm thank for about one years...but I am not sure they are healthy or not?~ ~:!:
thebuddy
Obsessed!!

Post by thebuddy »

how many liters?
Thebuddy is planning his tank
Raul-7
Obsessed!!

Post by Raul-7 »

No doubts on the gender identification by zebra046; he's always right! The male is the one in the second bucket; if you look at the largest female - the Zebra she is directly looking at is the male. Sorry I couldn't identify his in the number pictures as not all of them are from above.
alvinl
Forum Follower

Post by alvinl »

Raul-7 wrote:No doubts on the gender identification by zebra046; he's always right! The male is the one in the second bucket; if you look at the largest female - the Zebra she is directly looking at is the male. Sorry I couldn't identify his in the number pictures as not all of them are from above.
:oops: ...my tank is 60*30*36 (cm)...
So you also support that I only have one male and the others are females?
Sorry that maybe I misunderstand what you mean... my English is not so well
Are the picture not clear enough to recognize them?...or you can tell my wihich side of veiw is well...

Thank you all :wink:
thebuddy
Obsessed!!

Post by thebuddy »

wow thats gonna be one happy male come breeding he wont know what to do with himself :lol:
Thebuddy is planning his tank
zebra046
Obsessed!!

Post by zebra046 »

your tank size of roughly 35 gallons should be good enough to breed the fish and if they have lived there for a year already all you have to do is give him the proper cave the right temperature and good diet also flow rate you can find all this here:

http://www.zebrapleco.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1326

it is easier to identify the fish if picture are taken from above like the last 2 picture in the bucket the male is the largest fish in the middle of the bucket and if you add a cave in the tank he should take over and start attracting females try searching the entire forum you will learn a lot more and everything has been repeated sevaral times.
alvinl
Forum Follower

Post by alvinl »

Thank you very much... :lol:
So you are sure that the largest fish in the last pic is a male one.
You think others are all female or you can't confirm cause of the pictures are not easier to identify.
Maybe I can try to take another view pics and it is easiler to dientify.

Another question: which properties is the main determination point when you want to check the gender, the head shape, the gill plate( can tell me what's the gill plate? ), the hair length, or the others?

thank you ... :wink:
Raul-7
Obsessed!!

Post by Raul-7 »

zebra046, I don't mean to be rude but isn't the Zebra infront of the largest fish a male, too? I'm just going by the fact that it's body is a straight sided triangle compared to all the others - or that's what I heard.
inia
Groupie

Post by inia »

I think:

1: Male
2: Female
3: Female
4: Young female
5: Young male (or female)
6: Young male
7: Young female

The 60cm tank is too small for them. I recommend you to buy them a 110-120cm tank (about 200-250L). Good luck, you've got very beautiful fish.
alvinl
Forum Follower

Post by alvinl »

inia wrote:I think:

1: Male
2: Female
3: Female
4: Young female
5: Young male (or female)
6: Young male
7: Young female

The 60cm tank is too small for them. I recommend you to buy them a 110-120cm tank (about 200-250L). Good luck, you've got very beautiful fish.
Thank you very much :lol:
Does anyone have other opinion ? More opinion can help me confirm the gender.

How many fishses (and the ratio of the gender) in 60 cm tank is good for
breeding?
inia
Groupie

Post by inia »

How many fishses (and the ratio of the gender) in 60 cm tank is good for
breeding?
I think it's very small tank for zebras. You can try with one pair. It is hard to keep the waterparametres good in such a small tank.