Cave Dimentions?

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

thebuddy
Obsessed!!

Post by thebuddy »

o what im MOST LIKLEY going to do is make a normal breeding cave of slate and then pile on rocks but fill in cracks with silicon to make sure that no babies get stuck/crushed under them
Thebuddy is planning his tank
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

onemisterchristian wrote: If you want it to look like a pile of rocks, then why not use a pile of rocks?
:lol: :lol: Sorry, couldn't help having a good laugh at this. Good point! KISS and all that... :lol:

Buddy, a slate cave has proven itself to be a good choise though :wink:

If you want to build it into something, then maybe you could try something like this...? http://www.zebrapleco.com/forum/viewtop ... ht=terrace

Alas, all the spawning is happening in a slate cave not buildt into the terraces. Ungrateful little darlings they are, bless their heart :roll:

:wink:
Aiptasia
Forum Follower

Post by Aiptasia »

Heh. I've even read articles where breeders used those old plastic round 35mm film canisters as zebra plec breeder caves.

I'm pretty sure that any 1" to 2" diameter dark artificial cave (or black PVC pipe) will work.

Although I do like hamish's drilled out slate rock. :)
Call me fishmael...
thebuddy
Obsessed!!

Post by thebuddy »

hmm thats a nice idea there to bad yer zebs dont apreciate it :P

i think im gonna do somthing like glue a bunch of rocks together then put caves in it then put that in a corner so i get like a mountain/cliff kinda thing also anyone know good plants that can take heat i could put in the rocks for a little color?
jerms55555
Obsessed!!

Post by jerms55555 »

They only plant that has grown for me and has actually thrived are hornwort. But i think they are illegal in California!
thebuddy
Obsessed!!

Post by thebuddy »

im not in california >_>
zebra046
Obsessed!!

Post by zebra046 »

as a person who had his first spawn in a cichlid tank with rocks in the back wall of the tank I wouldn't recomend this type of set up first I have killed several fish when one of the decor slid and flattend the fish luckily it dint break the glass tank also some of the rocks will alter the waters PH and hardness lastly you would have a very hard time collecting the eggs or fry. as what Mceve said my fish will only take the caves that are on the bottom of the shelf and I have made elaborate caves with terrace and they only like the lower portion plus the proximity of ech cave was to close to each other that only one fish owned the whole pile you should try keeping cichlids to learn more about territorial disputes.

take into considiration what you are trying to accomplish with you're zebras with majority of people in this forum is to get them breeding and there is a lot of info and knowledgable advice but if you want to try something new it's your time money and fish sitting in the tank and just stop asking for advice.

the eggs din't hatch from the first spawn and I had to take the tank apart to catch the fish and gave them there own tank.