Won't Stop Fighting

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

zebrastorey
Obsessed!!

Won't Stop Fighting

Post by zebrastorey »

My two smallest zebras about 2" to 2 1/4" won't stop fighting they go everywhere together whenever one is in a new hiding place the other will follow. They then go on to wack each other in the head with there tails all day. There hasn't been any real damage done yet but if they hate each other so much why don't they split up and leave each other alone?
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

It's pretty difficult to say why they would be fighting as it could be a number of things. In my experience most issues cna be resolved by changing the layout of the tank, whether it be more places to hide, or less. Even the hiding places in relation to the direction of the currrent can have an effect on how often a particular hidey-hole is used.
How many hiding places do you have? How big is the tank? How many occupants are there?
If you could provide a picture of your tank it would be helpful I think.

Of course you may just have two zebs who really hate each other. :D

Plastic Mac
zebrastorey
Obsessed!!

Post by zebrastorey »

There a quite a lot of hiding places bogwood, rocks and 5 breeding caves there in with 3 other zebs 1 adult male 1 sub adult male and 1 female along with some cardinal tetras. If any of the other zebs go near them they don't dare do anything. I think they must just have a love hate relationship with each other. I havn't got any full tank shots and my sister has got my camera so i can't go and take any at the moment. :evil:
I will try to get some this weekend thanks for your help Plastic Mac :)
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi Zebrastory

If they are both the same size and fromt he same brood it is very likely that they see each other as the biggest competitor. Neither of them are stupid enough to take on the larger fish. so they "pick on someone their own size".

Keep an eye on their fins, so long as there doesn't seem to be reddening then they are probably just "practicing".

hope this helps.

:lol:
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
zebrastorey
Obsessed!!

Post by zebrastorey »

cheers Rob one is slightly bigger than the other i bought them together but am not sure if they are from the same brood, Will they grow out of it or will they keep fighting until one of them wins? :(
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

My first reaction would be to say they should grow out of it, but it is difficult to tell.

Try and get some pics of them and the tank set up and we should be able to be a little more specific.

rob
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
zebrastorey
Obsessed!!

Post by zebrastorey »

Try and get some pics of them and the tank set up and we should be able to be a little more specific.
OK will do as soon as i get my camera back :D
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hi Zebrastorey,

I wouldn't worry too much about the aggression that you are witnessing between your two zebras as others have said they should settle down eventually. I have found that aggression "out in the open" rarely results in life threatening injuries, at worst fins may be slightly frayed and stripes slightly "rubbed" off. Serious injury occurs when one of the fish is trapped in either a cave or crevice and is then unable to escape the aggressor or defend itself, this is the time to intervene if you are lucky enough to catch things before it has gone too far.

Along similar lines, I have five juvenile zebras that insist on hanging out together under a bit of drift wood. They obviously don't like each other much as they too spend most of the day tail slapping each other. I guess it's part of the growing up process, testing each others strength or trying to establish a pecking order.

Adam