Bet you 50c you didn't know this!

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

McEve
Hypan-guru!

Bet you 50c you didn't know this!

Post by McEve »

Zebras can eat snails. I just watched one of my females working intensly to get that snail out of the shell, and succeeding :shock:

Now you probably think I don't feed my Zebras huh :lol:
Adam

Post by Adam »

That's why the snail population in my community tank is getting out of hand now that the zebras have moved home. I had wondered why I was finding empty shells, looks like I'll have to put the clown loaches back in there again.
DANthirty
Obsessed!!

Post by DANthirty »

its funny you should say that, as the other day i put some cuttings from my planted tank in to my zebra tank when i noticed a number off small snails over the next few days , and then i noticed a lot off empty shells but i thought that the snails had died due to the hotter tempretare, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm may be the zebbys munched them then?
DANthirty
Obsessed!!

Post by DANthirty »

Ive just noticed that the number off snails in the tank is increasing quit fast, are they a danger to the zebs , as i dont realy want to add any snail killer just yet, would a couple off clown loach be happy with the water tempreture off the tank which is 30c? and the fast flowing waters
Adam

Post by Adam »

They shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't have a population explosion. Stay away from the chemicals if you can, if you do nuke em make sure that you're around to fish out all the dead snails or they'll soon foul your water.

Avoid the clown loaches, my zebras were in with my 3 clown loaches for a while and they really disturbed them. They are far too active and will compete for food with the zebras and win every time. Anyway if you're looking to breed them you should stay clear of other bottom dwellers.

I've heard that marine keepers use some sort of trap for pests in their tanks. I wonder if these traps would be any good on snails in freshwater aquaria?
DANthirty
Obsessed!!

Post by DANthirty »

What a great idea Ad(the trap) i bought one just the other day in fact to catch a bristle nose that was eating all my plants. now all ive got to do is try and catch the snails without catching any zebbys any ideas on what bait to use, something snails like but zebbys dont? mmmmmmmmmmm the snails do seem to be multiplying quit rapidly!!!
Adam

Post by Adam »

Dan,

Try algae wafers, my lot definately don't like them. You may want to try getting a trap specifically for snails so that you don't catch any zebras.

This was my technique. Get one of those small alcohol bottles, you get them on planes, if like me you're partial to a bit of inflight boozing. Tie a good length of string to it, break up some algae wafers or any food tablet and put it in the bottle. Sink the bottle in the aquarium just after lights out, you can take the bottle out a few hours later or the next morning before lights on. You should have a good catch of snails, repeat as often as you like and the snail population will decrease.

Snail killers tend to be effective on the adults but their eggs can be very resistant to chermicals, you will need to treat quite a few times if you choose the chemical route.