activity

If it's about fish in general, or it's a little bit random, then this is the place to post it.
thebuddy
Obsessed!!

activity

Post by thebuddy »

this site seems slow on replies is it dying/dead as far as activity/trafic/intrest of people i also noticed there hasnt been a contest ing a while it would seem
Thebuddy is planning his tank
smithrc

Post by smithrc »

If you can go out and find a more active forum dedicated to one fish Ill be very surprised....

If you fancy running a competition I'm sure they mods will support you ;)
Click For Our Plecs
[url=http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/gallery/plecs][img]http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/assorted/PlecSig_sm.jpg[/img][/url]
thebuddy
Obsessed!!

Post by thebuddy »

if i had a camara i would run one
and go check out the dwarf puffer official site 1000 members all for the little half inch devil that is the DWARF PUFFER thats what i have in one of my curent to fish tanks
jerms55555
Obsessed!!

Post by jerms55555 »

But than again there are probably dwarf puffers in ever single LFS! Not too many people have zebras. But if you have a question or comment mostly likely someone will comment on it! :wink:
And as far as contest are concerned...I was thinking about starting one and giving away 1 F1 fry....As you know i can only ship to the USA but was wondering if a counterpart in the UK can match me and we open the contest on both ends, so we can have 2 winners! I was thinking maybe a video on why you deserve a zebra pl*co or what crazy thing you would do for a zebra...... :lol: ..... this might need its own posting.....
Frontyking
Obsessed!!

Post by Frontyking »

What about opening the contest to Australians too if there was somebody out there to donate a fry that they have bred?

Nick.
[url=http://www.aquarank.com/in.php?id=doctorze]Vote for zebrapleco.com here[/url]
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

Nice try....unfortunately fry have not been set as a prize yet for any competition, just some great looking spawning caves so far, built by Lyretail. :D
zebrastorey
Obsessed!!

Post by zebrastorey »

What about opening the contest to Australians too if there was somebody out there to donate a fry that they have bred?
:lol: :lol: :lol: good one Nick
thebuddy
Obsessed!!

Post by thebuddy »

hey speaking of caves how hard is it to make one do i just get some slate and glue or do i need a bunch of weird equitment that ill hurt myself on....

also did anyone ever try making a spawn cave and glueing tons of rocks to it so it looks like a natural pile of rocks with glue in the cracks so there are now casualties in the rocks
hamish99
Obsessed!!

Post by hamish99 »

no glue mate..... silicone
thebuddy
Obsessed!!

Post by thebuddy »

o yes thats what i mean so you use silicon? yes i knew it wasnt glue just call it that its sticky glue is sticky see the resembalance :P
Raul-7
Obsessed!!

Post by Raul-7 »

thebuddy wrote:if i had a camara i would run one
and go check out the dwarf puffer official site 1000 members all for the little half inch devil that is the DWARF PUFFER thats what i have in one of my curent to fish tanks
You have a good point there; the argument that just because 'the forum is dedicated to a single species and thus no activity' has no real basis. Except that it's true that many people might not actually have this fish, but surely the interest in aquiring one is higher (probably the highest) than any other common LFS fish.

The fact is Zebra pleco's just don't do that much which might spark any interest; they are very timid and skittish pleco's. Yes they are stunningly beautiful, but surely their behavior isn't - they practically lie still untill the lights go out and even while shinning a moonlight they go back into hiding. Rarely will you notice any interesting behavior other than during breeding season, but that is the normal with every fish.

Sorry for being harsh, it's just saying it how I see it. :oops:
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

The fact is Zebra pleco's just don't do that much which might spark any interest; they are very timid and skittish pleco's. Yes they are stunningly beautiful, but surely their behavior isn't - they practically lie still until the lights go out and even while shinning a moonlight they go back into hiding. Rarely will you notice any interesting behavior other than during breeding season, but that is the normal with every fish.
:lol: :lol:

Kind of reminds me the first time I seen a Gibby and thought "that has got to the ugliest thing I have ever seen. now I am addicted to plecos!!!!

I know what you mean raul-7, I'm working on teaching mine to sing for a living!! :wink:

Buddy, on the subject of the site being quite quiet, it is still in it's early days and the new forum has only been online since September. The site started off as just a "record" of my experiences breeding ans started to evolve from there.
:wink:
On the subject of competitions, it has been a while and I take sole responsibility for that. Don't worry there are a couple more on the way, I have been doing a little work in the background and will be announcing some changes at the end of the month as well as giving the site a little bit of a face lift. We will be starting the competitions up again then. Unfortunately my job tends to interfere with me keeping the site going!! :wink:

Keep an eye onthe site and there will be a competition soon.

rob
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Raul-7 wrote:The fact is Zebra pleco's just don't do that much which might spark any interest; they are very timid and skittish pleco's. Yes they are stunningly beautiful, but surely their behavior isn't - they practically lie still untill the lights go out and even while shinning a moonlight they go back into hiding. Rarely will you notice any interesting behavior other than during breeding season, but that is the normal with every fish.
Ohhh... that's not true at all! Put the tank where there's little disturbance, and put a webcam in front of it and you'll find they're out and about a lot more than you'd think! I've stared at them for hours on my web cam, and learned quite a lot about their behaviour and interaction with each other this way. But if I stop in front of the tank and stare at them they're gone like a flash - admittedly :lol:

I have several generations in the tanks, and find peculiar things happenin, everything from teenagers nosing about the cave of the male with just about ready to get out babies in there, like they're curious about when the babies come out, only to be briskly shood away by alpha to fights between the ladies on whos turn it is to get in there, to how some of the younger ones find a preferred mate they're always hanging out with and more :)

I'm glad to see you're missing the competitions!! There will be more coming up real soon like Rob said. There will be more categories and there's some really fine prizes planned too, so keep watching this (or rather the competition category) space! ;)
thebuddy
Obsessed!!

Post by thebuddy »

i didnt know this site was THAT young intresting and is there a decent web cam around on the internet the zebcam isnt that intresting nothing moves about

off topic but i was curous how one avoids breeding brothers and sisters in a tank do i buy from 6 differnt dealers?
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Yes, we're just a bunch of Newbies really!! :lol:

As for the webcam.. careful those wee fellas belong to the lady above!!!

As for the off-topic one.....We'll let you of this time... as it's your thread! :wink:
i was curious how one avoids breeding brothers and sisters in a tank do i buy from 6 different dealers?
If you are buying from a breeder who has several batches, then best to try and get different stock...

..tell you what, thebuddy, it's a good question, why not start a new thread and I'm sure you will get some good answers! :lol: :wink:

Rob
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"