Can we all spread the message...

If it's about fish in general, or it's a little bit random, then this is the place to post it.

Are Zebra Plecos too expensive?

Hell yeah!
66%
No Way!
8%
It's just right... I'm not complaining.
21%
Don't want to comment.
5%

Total votes: 38

madmoroccan
Obsessed!!

Post by madmoroccan »

@ Shimmy:

Good suggetion... I am in... EVENTUALLY, when I get my colony up and running.

Bader.
Shimmy
Groupie

Post by Shimmy »

It shouldnt be too long it seems that Hertforshire and Northamptonshire have the monopoly on available zebras at the present time.

Oh a little trick I have learnt over the years is to try and get very familiar with all the local aquatic shops as I have managed to pick up several of my fish from shops that get offered zebras by people who have decided to go marine but have declined them and passed their details onto me.

Also if you talk to these people enough you get to find out the wholesalers and they are always interesting to talk too.
madmoroccan
Obsessed!!

Post by madmoroccan »

Am a step ahead... I already know most of the GOOD aquatic centers around here...

:lol: LOL 8) :lol:
thebuddy
Obsessed!!

Post by thebuddy »

im well off with the best one and i could probly get the name of the wholesaler if i asked (think i could save some money on L46s that way?)
Thebuddy is planning his tank
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi Guys.

A smuch as I think this idea is a good one. It is something that will take time to evolve and lif not handled properly could be a logistical nightmare, along with creating problems for policing. I am in the process of making changes to the site at present, which to be honest is difficult enough to squeeze in with my current work load and new family.

It may be something that could be looked at, but it is definately something I would like to put on hold until I have the time to monitor and manage it. At present I am focusing on some amendments to the site, (see your PM mad morrocan) so would probably be best to focus on that for now.

If you do want to put a proposal together Madmorrocan, go for it, a e-mail me a copy. We can discuss it from there.

Cheers for your enthusiasm it really is appreciated. :wink: :wink:

Rob
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
marcus
Groupie

Post by marcus »

Hi.

I dropped some fish off to a customer’s house the other week and while sharing a coffee the conversation ended up on zebras.

he told me that about 18 months ago he picked one up for £50 chucked it in to his community tank and never saw it again.

If he had paid the £180 each that I paid he would have checked on it daily and the poor thing may have stood a chance.

There is something to be said for a high price tag. I don’t like it but it gives people much more respect for what is an endangered species.
thebuddy
Obsessed!!

Post by thebuddy »

price has nothing to do with it if somone buys a fish they should take care of it wether it was $50 or $180
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

thebuddy

Please read what marcus saying. You cannot say
that price has nothing to do with it
. He is stating an opinion of a situation, and something that is entirely reasonable.

Yes I agree that people should look after their fish no matter how much it costs, but we do not live in a perfect world.
thebuddy
Obsessed!!

Post by thebuddy »

and i stated my opinoin as well mate

PS no miss quoting me mate
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

the buddy

My appologies for putting "that" at the start of the quote, but I feel it does misrepresnet what you stated or "misquote" you.

I have sent you a PM please read.

Rob
thebuddy
Obsessed!!

Post by thebuddy »

o true :P that would be hard to understand
marcus
Groupie

Post by marcus »

i agree that if someone buys any kind of pet they shold take care of it no matter what the cost is. but not all people think that way.
dave
Obsessed!!

Hi again

Post by dave »

I guess there are psycholigical reasons that dictate people will equate cost to care, then there are those that just don't care. The case of an arowana donated to my local shop recently. They don't sell this speciesh by the way. It had been kept in a 2ft tank.

While individuals are selling fish in excess of £150 zebras that is, whether this is groups or individuals. If it is a group, their intentions may have been to breed and failed, if this is the case best of luck to them in recovering their money. These fish have not been cheap for a long time.

If there is an individual fish fairly locally I will buy it, what price can you put on a life, or more importantly a species.

No I'm not made of money, but I do breed several other species of fish, and have been for over 25 years, selling these is paying for my zebra habit.

My motives initially with zebras was to make money, I saw Robs postings and took his advice, and now breeding them. I would never thought it possible so many people could join the site with the intention of saving a fish.

Take care

Dave
madmoroccan
Obsessed!!

Post by madmoroccan »

I think the arguement that L46 plecos will be treated better just because they are expensive isn't very plausible...

2 reasons:

1) Just because they are overpriced, doesn't mean they are more carefully looked after. Infact they are more likely to fall prey to a breeding for profit type.

2) ALL FISH should be treated with LOVE... simple don't like cleaning after them... DON'T BUY THEM! Don't care about them? Well it's simple... I can always call the RSPCA if you forward me the details of people who mistreat or "can't be bothered" with their fish.

I am glad that you tried to defend the high prices... but I have sat down and thought of every reason for keeping the prices high. NOT ONE is reasonable.

I also said in a previous post that these prices will be used solely amongst KNOWN forum members. No one else... For now.

Your's truely

Bader.

Conservationist... LOL 8) Sounds good... 8) Feels good.
marcus
Groupie

Post by marcus »

i wasnt defending high prices. i was just stating that if some thing is expencive people will take more care of it. no matter what it is.

during the time zebras were cheeper (£20-£30) i wonder how many were dropped into tanks as alge cleaners?
would some one do that if thay just paid £150 for it?