Can we all spread the message...

If it's about fish in general, or it's a little bit random, then this is the place to post it.

Are Zebra Plecos too expensive?

Hell yeah!
66%
No Way!
8%
It's just right... I'm not complaining.
21%
Don't want to comment.
5%

Total votes: 38

thebuddy
Obsessed!!

Post by thebuddy »

also think about this do you take care of a 10 cents plastic plate of course not

what about that fine china family arloom ya like yer gonna toss that out the window no your going to polish it and keep it in a nice case for people to look at (or in the atic to colect dust but that is besides the point)

i do think that the more you pay the more you care about it its truly not right in the least sence of the word but it is natural

do you care about that card table or the nice cherry finished 4 ft high table that sits 8
Thebuddy is planning his tank
dave
Obsessed!!

Post by dave »

Your quoting inanimate objects here, and purchasing antiques or anything and treating it as an investment fair enough.

As for 10 cent plates, and plastic, as you say no one cares, but perhaps we should, most come from oil, so is it farewell Alaska next.

By the way I really like Charlotte a really nice town.

Dave
thebuddy
Obsessed!!

Post by thebuddy »

O_O whats with the random charlote coment

and either way people THINK of it the same way the SHOULDNT but they do
madmoroccan
Obsessed!!

Post by madmoroccan »

Put your claws away guys!

We are all here to achieve the same or similar goals. I just don't see how we can all agree since we are all individuals with different aims.

My final word on the "high price = Lots of love" arguement is this:

If you REALLY care about something, would you really care any less if it was "worthless"?

If you really care you'd do it for the love not for the value.

Interest from newbies is one thing... But when the price is kept artificially high only the fish suffer... Think about the "exporters" point of view. Even the little poverty stricken farmer who sees these fish as a quick fix?
Yes I do know about the export ban! And no that doesn't stop hundreds of fish getting exported as other types fish every month... EVERYBODY has a price... Even the Brazilian authorities.

Kind Regards

Bader
zebra046
Obsessed!!

Post by zebra046 »

I'm estatic back then when I would get $35 for a 2 inch fish while today people won't even hesitate when you qoute them $100 each and wants to buy every piece of zebra you have, hell thats an expensive fish why would I complain thats what the market wants and I just supply the goods, and when the time comes when the zebra's are 2 for a dollar and comes in long fin albino, spotted or calico I think I would still keep them w/c I doubt that they would come to that price any time soon. when the florida pond raised plecos are still retailing for $2.99 when they are breeding this by the millions even the now more common long finned albino bristlenose plecos are $20. some people just don't get it when they are given a once in a life time chance :wink:

There are 395 members in this forum and only 37 who are registered breeder that is about 10% of the members in this forum who has successfully produced fry and would average 50 per breeder as the current numbers of 1,691 fry, out of all 395 member how many actually owns zebra's and how many of them have wild stock and F1 fish from the looks of things most don't have and majority of the breeders have owned them before the ban, not to long ago when this fish was retailing for $35-$60 a piece and people are still complaining that they where expensive now they are $150-$350 and still they are complaing and still killing the fish,cost is not the problem here its the lack of knowledge on how to keep them and some time sheer bad luck maybe we should go switch to the puffer forum at least there are more members there that are far more knowledgible and has more interaction with the members at lease they swim eat out of your finger or some of your fingers and can really clean out that snail problem that I got.

Hell yea they are to expensive and I'm loving it. :lol: :lol: :lol:
thebuddy
Obsessed!!

Post by thebuddy »

that exotic finds guy sells em for 350 thats way over 100

PS is there an advantage to buying from him i dont know?
thebuddy
Obsessed!!

Post by thebuddy »

the prices wont go down ever they dont have enough babies and the ones they do have take forever to muture
how many members realy do have plecs and how many are hunting some down

im not using more bandwith by using the same masage okay barbie?

isnt this post on topic rob i dont think the price will ever be $2
Last edited by thebuddy on Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Remember to try and keep it on topic thebuddy!! :wink:
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
LyreTail
Obsessed!!

Post by LyreTail »

Question on poll depends upon if I am buying or selling :D
madmoroccan
Obsessed!!

Post by madmoroccan »

@ Zebra

Am happy for you... Well done. You will learn you lesson the hard way. Money is not everything... And if you read through the post again you will realise that we are talking about starting a movement to force prices down. ALSO I am not the type of person to buy a fish throw some flakes in and leave it to die from ammonia or nitrite poisoning because I didn't bother to cycle my goldfish bowl for the required amount of time for the poisons to spike!

I have a 3ft tank that has been cycling for over 3 weeks... not to mention a puffer tank (species tank)... And a 2ft community tank (running for over 2 months, NO DISEASE, not one death)...

How much time, effort, and researsh goes into looking after Zebra? Same as amount as L260 (queen arabesque pleco) would you say? I have two... both healthy... even in a community tank... They aren't even shy anymore. EVEN IN A COMMUNITY TANK!

@ Lyretail...

You hit the nail on the head when you said "Question on poll depends upon if I am buying or selling"... This is very true here.

Although I reasure everybody here yet again... "Not in my lifetime!"

I can appreciate that there is a high demand. I can even appreciate they take ages to grow to maturity... But why does greed always come into it? Surely they don't cost 150-200 pounds to raise?

I simply think the hobby is wasted on greedy, stubborn people. Do it because you want to! Not for the money.

Sincerely

Bader.
[img]http://www.geocities.com/madmoroccan/zebcam.jpg[/img]
thebuddy
Obsessed!!

Post by thebuddy »

you kidding i saw an auctoin on aquabid for 1, single, uno, hana, zebra pleco for $650 with like 20 bids people pay for these its not alwas greed
LyreTail
Obsessed!!

Post by LyreTail »

I am not sure it is "greed " that drove up prices, but possibly "lust" :wink:
madmoroccan
Obsessed!!

Post by madmoroccan »

You guys never fail to put a smile on my face.

Lust is the :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: devil :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Didn't your local religious leader ever teach you that lust is wrong?
[img]http://www.geocities.com/madmoroccan/zebcam.jpg[/img]
thebuddy
Obsessed!!

Post by thebuddy »

ya lust is very evil and all that junk :P

o gosh my pass word is my last name and i have to many messed up freinds edited becuase of inaproprate junk

in other news check this out 2 days to go http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/ ... 1142711404

i bet its ends up selling for like 1200+

okay i dont know were to put this so ill ask here
can you breed L046 with any tankmates some sort of dither/algae eater fish

PS you need a tankmate sectoin
LyreTail
Obsessed!!

Post by LyreTail »

A lot of us have choosen to seriously breed the fish and dedicate a large tank to just the zebra, so no fry predation occurs and the water stays cleaner. To get them to spawn many of us turn up the heat a lot so that makes other fish uncomfortable and plants die off.

Therefore no "tank mate section" for zebras :D

Zebras can be tank mates with nearly all community tropical fish if you just want a zebra or two for looks