Spawning!!

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Shimmy
Groupie

Spawning!!

Post by Shimmy »

Does anyone have any opinion of regularity of spawning. I have family of 8 zebras and it seems that only the one male is dominant but potentially spawning with 2 females. What period of time do other people have between each spawn? Does anyone have any ideas on getting them to go at it again?
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi Shimmy

Good to see you again.

The frequency of spawns can range dependant on the colony and male involved. In general I would say the average female will spawn every 3 - 4 weeks if given the correct condition and of course, the correct male.

The male however is capable of taking a spawn with a 2 week interval, I have even seen two females spawn within days of each other.

I do not think there is any given rule to this although alot will depend on the male.

There are many theories about inducing spawns out there, most of which you will find if you have a look through the forum. Do a forum search for "Inducing" and you should get a few answers, although this post is quite good. http://www.zebrapleco.com/forum/viewtop ... t=inducing

I personally try not to induce any spawns outwith the spring /summer period as I feel that every fish needs the opportunity to recouperate!! :wink:

I see from the register that you have had a total of 5 spawns so far. Have all of these been from the two females we are discussing. If so how far apart where they and when was the last one?

Rob
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
Shimmy
Groupie

Post by Shimmy »

Hi Rob,

Well thats the thing from the 5 spawns I have had I had two almost within a week of each other, the others have tended to be 6-8 weeks apart.

I must admit I did think originally after reading several articals that there was this season from Sept through to Jan when they mainly spawned. But I like you though that they obviously need time to recouperate between laying eggs and tending to them.

I have never really tried any spawning techniques, just feed regularly, change water offen and just try and give them the best peaceful life I can. Up until now they have repaid me greatfully with the fry which dont grow very quick or atleast you think that until you put them all together and you soon tell how much the first and second spawn fry have come on over the last five months.

Oh as a side issue how is the little one, letting you get plenty of sleep I hope! I thought fish keeping was time consuming!!

Shimmy
zebra046
Obsessed!!

Post by zebra046 »

the zebra will spawn all year long if givin the chance and a male is cpable of breeding just about every week but a female has a 4-5 week rotation or once a month you can shorten the gap buy feeding them well and doing lots of water change, but my fish only gets fed once a day if they are lucky and none on the weekends.
Shimmy
Groupie

Post by Shimmy »

Thanks for that I must admit that technically what we do is give them one long consistant season so they are not going to be able to tell when it is or isnt time to breed.

I think I must be over feeding mine as they get fed everyday twice and then twice a week I substitute one of the feeds for a frozen food.

They get a water change every three days to keep on top of any nitrate build up.

They have just laid another six eggs so they should hatch in the next ten days