My zebra breeding experience - the story

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Dale90g
Groupie

My zebra breeding experience - the story

Post by Dale90g »

I’ve had my group of 20 for about 3 years. I purchased 6 others about 1 year before that. I have 1 other that I have had since 1995. Lucky me, as when I went to purchase the group of 20, I asked others (in my club) if anyone else was interested. No takers, so I took the risk and had them shipped in. They arrived in great shape and I housed them in a 75 gallon tank. Some were fairly small, and I was planning on getting my fish room going. (Other things happen, so the fish room kept getting put to the back burner). I didn’t supply them with any breeding caves, just rocks to hide. Feed them mostly frozen blood worms, and at times frozen brine shrimp. Also the Hikari carnivore pellets. I sprinkled in some flake food from time to time, but mostly for some corys that were in the tank. They grew up. In November the Ohio Cichlid Assoc. has their yearly Extravaganza. I purchased some caves, they are 6 ceramic pine cones and 2 terracotta burritos while there.
I got the room done about 4 weeks ago, and for the zebras, set up 2 30 gallon breeder tanks. They are 30” long x 18” front to back x 12” tall. They set beneath a 125 gallon tank. I made the stand that holds these 3 tanks. The 125 is still waiting to have more than water and a filter – but who cares about that right now? I have to figure out how to add pics to this, so I can show the setups.
Anyhow, both 30s have rocks and 3 pine cones, and 1 burrito. Filters, for each 30g, are Whisper model 40, and I have a power head on top on the skeleton of a sponge filter, I just wrapped a filter pad around the skeleton – no sponge – this is just for water movement. Bare bottom tanks. Used 2 100 watt heaters for each tank, hang on type. Easier to adjust temp without having to stick my hands into the tank (though they have some submersibles with outside controls).
3 weeks ago, I moved the 20 zebras to the 30s, 10 in each. Picked out the 4 largest males, and split them, 2 in each tank. The remaining 16 were split, and I thought that some of the larger females would be put on the left tank. I think they looked like females, and they may be, just no go yet in the left tank. In the right tank, a week later, I noticed one male was waving his fins in one of the pine cones. I had moved them in on Saturday, and it was the following Sat that I noticed his behavior. I had completed a water change on the tank earlier in the day (about 4 hours before I noticed the male), I don’t condition the water, straight from the tap. (They never acted bad to this and it didn’t appear to bother them this time, either) Is this showing just how lucky I am or how easy it is to get them to breed? I took a flashlight, and I swear, there were eggs in there. Ok, I got excited and danced a jig (which I didn’t know how before this). The next day, they’re still there, and Monday too. On Monday, I saw that there seemed to be only 3. On Wednesday I went to my club meeting, after checking to see if he was still at work – he was. When I came back, he had left the cone – and only one baby was left. I got some netting and sealed off the cone using it and a rubber band. The baby is still in there kicking around, I checked on him about an hour ago. If I had to guess, he looks like he is about day 11 on the pics of the breeding page here. That’s were I’m at now.
One item I didn’t really mention was the water temp. I was checking it pretty regularly due to both heaters being there. I had a couple of corys and a red lizard in the tanks before adding the zebras – to confirm the tanks were safe (just as a cautionary measure). The temps had settled, but I still tinkered trying to get them set around 81. Sometimes they went up to 83, then down to 78. I don’t know if that played a part in getting them to think – it’s that time of the season for luvin', but one of the males did, and at least one of the females agreed. And I know the temps are extreme, but they changed over a week, not in hours.

Ok – now I have a couple of questions, and I’ve seen some answers here – but would like ‘fresh’ thoughts. How long before the females are ready again – think I read about 4 weeks, true? What food is safe or good for the little one – and how soon? Read baby brine shrimp and crushed food. I plan on moving the little one soon to a empty 10. I’ll take 5 gallons of water from the 30 and leave it half full (or empty). I think that will make it easier to feed him (I don’t know if it is a he or she, just started calling it him) I have started a culture of microworms – baby red lizards liked it. Still, any thoughts will be most welcome. Thanks for your input.
Dale
Fishnut2
Groupie

Post by Fishnut2 »

Great story Dale. Thanks for sharing! One of the other females in the tank, might be ready to spawn right away. I would move the remaining fry...and open up the cave that was used. For feeding the fry, I like frozen cyclops...in addition to live bbs/decapsulted bbs/ and a small pellet food made by Aquamax (which I add liquid vitamins to). I would fill the 10 gallon for fry, up to the top. The 2 most important things for the fry (IMO) are water quality and food.
nightowl1350
Groupie

Post by nightowl1350 »

That is awesome :) Now that you have had one spawn I'm sure others will follow. Bet those guys who didn't get in on the 20 are going to kick themselves.
Dale90g
Groupie

Post by Dale90g »

Hi again - I moved the little guy to the ten, but kept it 1/2 full. He is doing well and I need to do a water change, later today. Have some aged water that I'll use. Seems to be feeding on the microworms. Crushed a carnivore pellet food too. I turn off the outside filter on the tank - it's a junior whisper - and give him chance to feed easier - as the food isn't blowing all over and he can find it. There is a small sponge filter and an airline dropped in the tank to keep some water movement. The whisper is kind of nice that it pulls water in, even with low water in the tank.

After taking the pinecone out with the little one to the 10 gallon - I rearranged one in the original 30 breeder tank close to where the removed one was. The male is there now and I have kept the tank light off. By the way - didn't mention lighting before. The 30 breeders have a strip light over it and glass canopy. I did not have the light on for the first week they were in it, as it was new and the tank seemed bright to me. After they bred - I started turning it on a regular basis (never said I was bright) . I just felt that was better as I wanted to keep as eye on him (and not freak him out flashlighting him). He turned out to be a fairly good parent. With him back at 'home', the light is back off, there is enough other light in the room - maybe better atmosphere. They are getting fed the frozen blood worms and brine shrimp. Just going to wait them out - they get a water change soon too.

One other question - are there instructions on adding pics under one of the forums? I see the Img button while typing this post - but haven't figured it out yet. And any other food ideas for the little one are still appreciated. I am starting the baby brine shrimp up.
Dale
Fishnut2
Groupie

Post by Fishnut2 »

Dale,
Hit the image button...post your link...then hit the image button again.
It will post [img]before...and[/img] after it. Which will enable your pic.
Dale90g
Groupie

Post by Dale90g »

Bad news / good news. Bad news is I found the little one caught or trapped between the sponge filter and glass of the aquarium. He is gone. The good news is that there was another spwan on the same tank, and I counted 6 fry in the pine cone cave and they look close to free swimming.

Now I am wondering how to get the male out, and back to his tank, or actually the fry out. I moved the cone with the male and little ones last week to the 10 gallon, so they're by themselves. I read were Fishnut2 'shook' out the male. Can someone give me more details on how to do this? Or other ways to seperate them.

Also, sorry for not posting this sooner, but my PC needs a new harddrive (according to Dell) and I am working with them. I get to rebuild my PC, which I already did once now. Ahhh, the fun of having something. Or rather - the more you have, the more things you have to take care of.
Dale
jerms55555
Obsessed!!

Post by jerms55555 »

You never thought about just leaving the male to tend to the eggs?? The fry seem toi grow up faster and healthier! I used to take the eggs out and after the 3rd time I think i upsetted the male because he didnt go back and I didn't get another spawn for like another 4 months!!! So now i just leave them in with the father! But waht i would do is take the whole cave in abucket filled with the same tank water and hold the cave above water and kind of shake him out! :lol: DONT try to force him out becasue he hangs on tight with his fins pressed againt the inner walls! Some others might have better suggestions , good luck!!
zebra046
Obsessed!!

Post by zebra046 »

zebra046 wrote:the best way to collect the fry while theyare still in the cave is to move the entire cave to the new tank or in the container and lean the cave in a 45 deg. angle open side down its a lot faster if you have the male inverted upside down he tends to always right himself and disslodge the eggs and or babies, also the fry would start to crowl down and out faster, and if they get dislodge and in the main tank I use some larger size corrugated pastic tubing close one end with your thumb and dip the other end in the tank, you will trap air in the tube as you release your thumb water flows in the tube sucking the wrigglers in the tube then close it with both thumb and lift out of the water, once you get the hong of it, it wont be so complicated, but when you are catching larger fry I prefer to use small brine shrimp nets they wont get trap in the mesh of the net.
try using the search feature and you can find a wealth of information
http://www.zebrapleco.com/forum/viewtop ... ight=#3443

good luck
Dale90g
Groupie

Post by Dale90g »

Thanks for the replies, and sorry for not thinking of using the search option before posting - found some of the articles and I decided I liked the idea of leaving dad in with the little guys. I think it would be less stressful for them all. My biggest thought was feeding them, getting the food close to the fry - but the first guy did wander around the tank pretty well, so that shouldn't be a problem, they'll move too, and probably more so when they get hungry. I got a couple of poor shots on a picture web site. Once I get a couple of new ones, I'll get the link in here. I'm just not into it while my PC is being a pain. Still have to get my PC fixed - wasn't here for the delivery guy - so harddrive is in Erie, but not with me.
Dale
Dale90g
Groupie

Pics

Post by Dale90g »

I got some pics, see if this works. This should be one of the 4 fry, I had 6, but one stopped growing and passed on, another seemed to choke on food the stupid owner fed them - frozen brine shrimp that I had mushed up, but appartly not enough - I know...stupid, stupid, stupid. Anyhow - here is a pic of them - Image

If this works, I'll try a couple more.
Dale
Dale90g
Groupie

Post by Dale90g »

Ok, the pic is not that great, I do have a couple better ones, but is there I way I don't take up so much screen space? I used a low setting (camera has good, better and best) when taking the pic so the resolution should be at its lowest - do I need to crop them up a bit more so it isn't so annoying? I guess I should search and see if you already covered this. My apologies for any inconvenience.
Dale
aaronr94

Post by aaronr94 »

Congrats on the new little ones! I would love to come up to see your setup, if you don't mind. I have been reading around on this sight for about two months and would enjoy seeing a setup in person. Please let me know. Thanks!!!
Dale90g
Groupie

Post by Dale90g »

Well, the male in the left tank, had 3 fry in the cone with him. He also has one I netted and is hanging in the tank (it got kicked out). There is also a couple of young'ens hiding amoungst the rocks and cones - I posted some pics in the Pic topic area.
The male in the right tank has a spawn, but I haven't been able to check to see how many.
Guess I have to set up another tank for these guys soon. :D

I want to say thank you to this group/forum/web site and all. It sure was nice coming here and getting some answers before I had to certain questions. I still have more, I hate being stupid all the time (they say its something that can't be fixed :) ). It also is fun to let you guys know, hopefully not bragging (too much), but a chance to let others know what I did. If it helps them, excellent, as I believe what the leaders of the site are hoping to do.

Aaronr94, I PM-ed you, see if we can work it out
Dale