heater messd up :((

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Robbert
Groupie

heater messd up :((

Post by Robbert »

How lucky can you be.. last month we got 37 youngsters in total..
Today, a heater screwed up the temperature in another tank. As a result
6 dead adults (luckily only males, if you can say luck). BUT also 27 youngesters of about 3 cm's :(:(
feel really sad... on the other side, I'm still happy with the 37 others youngsters...
Tariq
Obsessed!!

Post by Tariq »

sorry to hear that robbert,
everytime i watch the tank i always look at the temperature or just touch the glass to see if its not to warm or cold,
:(
- 10Xadult L-46(4males, 6females)+fry
- 10Xyoung L-46(4-5 cm)
- 5Xyoung L-46(3,5 cm)
-22XDiscus(7breedingpairs)
-1xl260
-20Xcorysterbai
Robbert
Groupie

Post by Robbert »

me too yesterday I refreshed the water dropping it to 27. this morning I was not at home, a friend of mine came by.. to do another water change... and he found everything dead...
I always check... especially in the tank with youngsters.. but I simply can't check it 24hours a day ...
jobbie happens
Tariq
Obsessed!!

Post by Tariq »

which heaters do you use??
i mostly use jager,becuase the are pretty reliable.
- 10Xadult L-46(4males, 6females)+fry
- 10Xyoung L-46(4-5 cm)
- 5Xyoung L-46(3,5 cm)
-22XDiscus(7breedingpairs)
-1xl260
-20Xcorysterbai
Robbert
Groupie

Post by Robbert »

The one in this tank was actually a quite expensive one comparable to jager..
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Robbert

Sorry to hear that , not good at all. I'll keep my fingers crossed for all 37 of your other wee ones!

Unfortunately, heaters packing in seems to be part and parcel of fishkeeping, with very few "inexpensive" ways around it. It certainly doesn't make it any easier when it happens however.

I think a quiet beer might be in orde tonight!

rob :cry:
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
snr69
Obsessed!!

Post by snr69 »

That's terrible news --- sorry to hear it.

There must be a better way around failing heaters.... I must admit I use and external controller on one tank, which is a Algarde Digitherm.... although I can't find these for sales online anymore.... best thing about these is you can wire it to a couple of heaters in the same tank ( with the temp on the heaters set to about 34.... and then set the external to 32.... ) so even if the external controller fails ( which I never have know ) the temps cut out on each heater should cut in.....

I guess the other option is to use two smaller heater rather than one big fella.... at least if one sticks on it gives you a little longer to react...

Simon
Robbert
Groupie

Post by Robbert »

I will drink a beer tonight for sure.. Luckily the new youngsters were not added to the group. strangely enough I was discussing this with the guy who does the breeding together with me, I was really hesitating to do so, incase of disease, or what so ever.. I'm glad I didn't.
But in the future I will spread the youngsters over several tanks for sure... as soon as they are strong enough to handle a 'tank switch'.
hamish99
Obsessed!!

Post by hamish99 »

i use a Hagen Aquaminder Aquarium Thermometer and Computer on all my tanks, the alarm will go off if the temp get to high or low, not bad for around £10, look on ebay.