Cherry Shrimp

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

ice168

Cherry Shrimp

Post by ice168 »

Hello, i have 6 adult zebras in a 35 gallon tank, and was thinking of adding some cherry shrimp to the tank because i seem to have a fair bit of left over food around the tank. I clean the tank twice a week so im hoping by adding some shrimp will help.
What i wanted to know is if the cherry shrimp is suitable for a zebra tank setup and with the zebras?

Many thanks.
Whitepine

Post by Whitepine »

I would say yes. I keep Cherries with my nuggets and they do a great job of cleaning up. Once they start to breed... they might even be a source of protein for the zebras.

Cheers, Whitepine
gwchat

Post by gwchat »

I personally use the Taiwan Blue Shrimp ( Neocardina Denticulata Sinensis "Brn") It is the exact same species as the cherry shrimp, but is just the natural color form. They breed the same, grow the same size and eat all the same algaes. I have found that in the past year and a half that they have been in there they have kept the tank spotless and have bred like wild fire. It seems that the Zebras do not eat very many Post Larval Shrimp. Either the Zebras are to lazy or the PL's are to quick for them, but either way you will accommplish your task by adding the cherry shrimp to the tank. You will also make yourself some extra cash from the boat loads of shrimp that are harvested from the tank when their numbers get to be a little to high.

Thanks,
GW
Raul-7
Obsessed!!

Post by Raul-7 »

I just added eight juvenile Cherry shrimp to my 20G long to do the same thing; they just started sifting through the sand to get all of the uneaten food. :D

Do you notice if they actually compete with the Zebra's for food? I mean not adult Zebras, but juveniles? Or do they steer clear of there path?
snr69
Obsessed!!

Post by snr69 »

this sounds like a great idea ! I've never tried this, do you have a good supplier in the UK ?

Simon