Shipping Zebra Pleco's

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Raul-7
Obsessed!!

Shipping Zebra Pleco's

Post by Raul-7 »

Anyone know how to ensure the fish's survival between Europe and the US? I read the topic regarding how to ship them, but that was between the UK only.
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

The permitting and risk to ship fish from the UK to the US will make it pretty cost prohibitive, from all I've heard. Sorry I'm not the bearer of better news!

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
Raul-7
Obsessed!!

Post by Raul-7 »

It's alright; I wouldn't want to risk it either. I was just thinking if the Zebra exchange program should be inter-continental or just within the continent. I guess it won't! :wink:

How do people ship Discus overseas? I mean they are much more sensitive. :?
marty_hk

How to ship fish

Post by marty_hk »

I have received fish (maily discus and other pleco) from US, both east and west coasts, and Germany. I have sent discus to firends at the US too.

Use a airline that take live fish most do. Airport pick ups.
vet and health inspection docs are needed for some countries.
make sure your importer (at US ) holds an import licence.

Fast your fish for at 48 hours, to MT its stomach contant, therefore, the fish will provide less waste product and polluates it own water, and it needs less oxygen for digestion.

For transport foam box,

For package
Plastic bag, double layers sandwished with PVC sheet or use newspaper.
1 fish per pack fill water to 20 % height, and fill the rest with oxygen.

Pack the fish tightly. fill the foam box with wight lighted material
Put a few heat packs in to keep it warm.

My wild discus were packed that way. Did not lose a single fish for the passed 5 years. Even after 36 hours (apart from the normal 12-16 hours filght you need to a few 8-10 hours more for the pick ups for both ways.

DONT sent any fish to US for arrivial at the weekend! The wildlife inspecter DO not work at the weekend! For us the best day to send is Tesday or wednesday of the week, To arrive for Wednesday or Thursday to allow delates.

For other country such as check with the customers.

For long hours flight, discus are robustic for this, but rays and very large sized pleco are not. They need very strong plastic box, just because their sharpe fins can do a lot of damage to the packages.

Marty