Siblings!

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

McEve
Hypan-guru!

Siblings!

Post by McEve »

Is there a problem with fry one - two month younger than the others in the same tank?

Will the older ones leave the new arrivals alone? The oldest one is close to 3 months now, but will be clsoer to 4 months before the new arrivals are introduced to the tank.
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi McEve

The fry should be fine. Same old story, make sure there are lots of crevises to hide. My fry range from 1 month to 6 months in one tank with no problems.

Just smake sure there is enough food to go around.

rob
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Glad to hear that Rob :D

Most other fish would grab the opportunity, but not the perfectly balanced Zebra... 8)

Wonder if they are less competitive towards eachother as they have such small spawns and long time to grow up... Nature is funny like that...
Adam

Post by Adam »

I wouldn't worry too much McEve, my population of zebras vary in size from an inch and a half to four inches plus. The large zebras have regular disagreements amongst themselves and the tiddlers are happy lying right next to each other. I have not yet witnessed any aggression towards the youngsters, however they are clearly not able to compete for food with the large zebras.

My observations would lead me to think that until zebras reach sexual maturity they do not show aggression towards each other.

Just make sure the younger zebras are getting enough food as they will not be able to compete effectively with the larger ones.

Just my thoughts.
Tristan
Obsessed!!

Post by Tristan »

Mine vary in size as well and they often chill out next to each other. I have foundthat only the larger ones squabble. Other fry, Malawi etc do better with tank mates of their own size as cichlids are agressive in general and therefore smaller fish get bullied and/or can't compete for food.
L046, L033, L117, L200, L027, L014, Discus, & malawis
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Thanks all, I'm glad to hear that none of you have seen any agression between the younger ones. I will soon introduce litter nr 3 to the fry grow out tank, and feel much more confident that it will be safe for them there now.
Adam

Post by Adam »

McEve wrote:I'm glad to hear that none of you have seen any agression between the younger ones. I will soon introduce litter nr 3
No aggression amongst the zebra youngsters but plenty between my 2 kids, at least the zebras fight over things that matter like territories and sex. Just to illustrate my point my two kids were having a punch up over an empty loo roll yesterday. That's why I will definately not be adding to the litter. :lol:
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Adam wrote:No aggression amongst the zebra youngsters but plenty between my 2 kids, at least the zebras fight over things that matter like territories and sex. Just to illustrate my point my two kids were having a punch up over an empty loo roll yesterday. That's why I will definately not be adding to the litter. :lol:
LOL I'm kinda glad I don't have toddlers in the house anymore :roll:

And Zebras stay where you put them as well :D
Adam

Post by Adam »

McEve wrote:

And Zebras stay where you put them as well :D
Aint that the truth.

On a serious note McEve have you noticed that the zebra youngsters are even more shy than the adults? They also seem to be fussy eaters, my youngsters seldom feed in front of me. I know they feed primarily at night as I have caught them in the act with a torch after lights out

Just some more observations. :D
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Adam wrote:
On a serious note McEve have you noticed that the zebra youngsters are even more shy than the adults? They also seem to be fussy eaters, my youngsters seldom feed in front of me. I know they feed primarily at night as I have caught them in the act with a torch after lights out

Just some more observations. :D
Absolutely. I never saw them at all until I bought another web cam :P now I have two windows open at all times to see the whole family.

Even when the room is dark and there's absolutely nothing happening the fry is slowly slowly inching their way out to feed, eating for 3 seconds, then darting back under the root again. And so fast the camera can't follow their movements - now you see me now you don't :lol: Very very cautious they are.

But then again, it's a big world out there and you never know when some big and nasty comes along .. :)
Adam

Post by Adam »

McEve wrote:
But then again, it's a big world out there and you never know when some big and nasty comes along .. :)
McEve you're probably right I also think it's instinctual behavior in order to avoid predation.
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Definately noticed the same here. The dominant males are very arogant, and will literaly stare me out. The females will come out to feed, yet the fry move about the tank like lightning.

I have found however, that they do get used to a particular feeding time, and almost seem to edge towards the cave edges.

rob