Treatment of Pleco Help please

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Bailey

Treatment of Pleco Help please

Post by Bailey »

Hi all.

I just noticed that my zebra pleco has a red sore about 5 millimeters in diameter on its body. What is a safe way to treat the fish in the tank? Can I use melafix? Should I be worried about something else? I want to help this fish and protect the others in the tank.

Thanks,

BAiley
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

could you provide a picture?
Bailey

Pics

Post by Bailey »

I notice another one has damage to the face (right behind the eye) and a swollen cloudy eye.

Please help me.

McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

This doesn't look good. Have you measured the water parameters? Popeye can be caused by several different things, from bacterial infections, injuries, nitrogen oversaturation of the water, resulting in tiny bubbles going into the blood stream and more.

The wound doesn't look like a damage from fighting, even though it can be hard to tell without actually seeing the fish.

Do you have any possible way of putting the infected fish in a tank of it's own? I would do that, then medicate with eSHa 2000 with the fish in quarantine. Provide good cover and keep the lights off to reduce stress. Make sure the water is clean.

You have very course gravel. I assume you vacuum it regularily to remove any foods or other debris that can pollute the water? Personally I find find sand or no substrate at all better than the very coarse gravel for Zebra.

I'm sure others will give you advice as well, keep us posted on any development or new fish being infected!
sharko
Groupie

Post by sharko »

Protruding eyes are often associated with swollen bellies..is it swollen?

If so..it might be bacterial infection ( dropsy)

The eyes can become cloudy due to extra slime (mucus) being formed on the outside as a result of a skin irritation caused by parasites or poor water quality.

The red spot is most likely due to aggresion from the others..
threat them both with any suitable anti bacterial medicine in a tank of its own..

Start to change water more often, this will do wonders for the other zebras

Hope this helps:)
Visit my home page and sign my guestbook:)
INXS
Obsessed!!

Post by INXS »

I had swollen bellies and protruding eyes on a few different plecos at different times - usually it was caused by some malady in the tank or chills in conjunction with transportation to and from a show.

For such problems I have had succes with raised temperatures + daily waterchanges + quarantine + no food.

For sores I have used Iodine with succes , dabbed on the wound with a Qtip.

Good Luck.
Bailey

Post by Bailey »

How high did you raise teh temp?
INXS
Obsessed!!

Post by INXS »