new hiding places

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

clogwood

new hiding places

Post by clogwood »

I have six zebras in a species only tank for about 7 weeks. They Have consistently stayed in the same hiding places from day one. Just lately some of them keep changing there prefered hiding places and have been moving all over the tank and trading hiding spots. I believe the only ones that have not moved are the two I believe to be alpha males. Nothing has changed as far as water parameters and I was wondering if any one knows if this is commen or not. Thanks for any feedback.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hi Clogwood,

This is normal behaviour in a group that are settling into their new surroundings. As you have noticed the most dominant fish will pick their favoured spots first and the others will move around until they find theirs. Females can be a bit nomadic and can move around quite a bit. One of my groups is still showing this behaviour even though they have been together for over two months now. It's nothing to worry about, once a pecking order has been established things should settle down.

Make sure that you have enough cover for them as a lack of suitable hiding places can also cause them to move around a lot. :wink:

Adam