Sex These Please

We all know how difficult it is to identify the sex of these fish, so please post a picture in here and we'll try to help you (or at least give an educated guess!).
NeoCult
Mentally Certified!

Sex These Please

Post by NeoCult »

Ok can anyone tell me the sex of these?

Zeb 1

Zeb 2

Zeb 2 Again

Zeb 3

Zeb 4
10x L046 Zebs for now, more coming soon ;) 6x L199 Plecos, 6x L129 Plecos, 45x Cardinals, corys & shrimps

Check My Blog - http://zebrapleco.net
NeoCult
Mentally Certified!

Post by NeoCult »

Male & Female?

and

These 2 are the biggest approx 3" each
10x L046 Zebs for now, more coming soon ;) 6x L199 Plecos, 6x L129 Plecos, 45x Cardinals, corys & shrimps

Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

alright Neo

Some people have all the luck. Here's me up all night filling my generator up with petrol during my latest 12 hour power cut, and you're out buying new zebs.

1. Shape of a female apart from slightly protruding Gill plates. 70% female
2. Female
3. Male but get some food into him
4. female

second set of pics is made up of fish 1 & 4. hence definate male and poss female.
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

OK I had a go before looking at robs answers and came up with

1. Male

2. Female

3. Male or female..just can't tell

4. Female.

yeah some people do have all the luck... I spent last night having to repair a pc as a rush job for somone..would much rather have been introducing sexy females into my tank.
Got any females for sale then?...or can you get anymore? :D
NeoCult
Mentally Certified!

Post by NeoCult »

well as i dunno if they are deffinate female not yet m8 lol

McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

1. male (he's got so much odontodes on the tip/front of his pectoral fins that they make it look like a black shadow)
2. female
3. male (underdeveloped)
4. female

BUT - I've been wrong before, you're getting tired of me saying that now don't you :lol:
Andrew C
Obsessed!!

Post by Andrew C »

Neo
Sorry to butt in on your topic.
Good to see your fish made it home alright.

Rob, if you paid your electricity bill, you won't get cut off so much :lol:
I've heard that people from round the borders area, have all got; "wee short hands and big long pockets" :wink:

These are the other fish that came with Neo's, hopefully the pictures are decent enough for sexing;

Male.

Female 1 ?

Female 1 again ?

Female 2 ?

Female 2 again ?
NeoCult
Mentally Certified!

Post by NeoCult »

Hi Andrew good pics :wink:

Right re Zeb 1 it has a few whiskers very short and no long growth at all, maybe the pic dont show this so good, still think its a male???

:? Zeb 2 is pretty small compared to Zeb 1 so im not sure its safe to say its a deffinate female, maybe more males?? :cry: i need a "pulling my hair out icon" sort it out Rob lol

McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

what you guess as female2 has a serious infection in her pectoral fin. Treat the fish now or you'll risk loosing it. The dorsal fin don't look too good either!

Where did you guys get these fish..? :?
NeoCult
Mentally Certified!

Post by NeoCult »

what :? :shock: :shock: :shock: :? was that too me or Andrew?

McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

the "guessed as female nr2", serious infection in pectoral fin, was for Andrew. I got the impression that you got these fish together, and shared them or something, just sounded like it, that's why I asked where you got it.

Neo, one of your males is underdeveloped, and if it came in the same batch, then:

Where did you get these fish..?

Sorry if I sound harsh, but this is how it is..... OR - that's how it looks like. I know your one male is underdeveloped, but it might be the picture showing the damage worse than it is on Andrews fish.
NeoCult
Mentally Certified!

Post by NeoCult »

i got these one with Andrews yeah

Dont pick on my new male he was bullied lol maybe they were not looked after as well by the previous keeper as me or you etc would do but hey at least now they are gonna be looked after and wait a few months till i get the male back to health and im sure you will see a difference in him :wink:

i can also state that Andrew well looks after his also and has a great set up for them

Andrew C
Obsessed!!

Post by Andrew C »

McEve
Forgot to say the picture of the female with something on her fin was a bit of debris in the bucket floating around that came with the fish.

Sorry.

Just checked them in the quarentine tank and they are fine, apart from disturbed again :roll:
NeoCult
Mentally Certified!

Post by NeoCult »

Right if zeb 1 is a male how come its not got big long whiskers like the other male???but short dumpy things like on Robs female???

arghhhhh confused...........

McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Oh no! that was not a critisism of either of you guys! I know you look after your fish very well, but these fish just got in to your care, and they don't look like they've been looked well after before

You know me better than thinking that I would say you don't look after your fish!? I feel terrible now... I'm very sorry if what I said was interpreted as an attack on either of you two.

Are you sure about the debirs Andrew? It sits in the same place in three pictures, and it does look like bones sticking out. If you say the fish is fine than it is :)

Sorry again, it came from concern and love of the fish.