Male or Female?

We all know how difficult it is to identify the sex of these fish, so please post a picture in here and we'll try to help you (or at least give an educated guess!).
aquaticus
Forum Follower

Post by aquaticus »

I noticed that whenever i lowered down the temperature, the 'female' will come out from her cave and stay beside the 'male' cave. At times 'she' tried to go into the 'male' cave but 'he' refused to let 'her' go in. 'She ' tried a few times and finally give up..

What is this behaviour?
NeoCult
Mentally Certified!

Post by NeoCult »

IMO She is trying to get into the cave to spawn it seems

My female had a fight with the male to get in, but once she did they spawned and i have eggs :wink:

good luck with them :D
10x L046 Zebs for now, more coming soon ;) 6x L199 Plecos, 6x L129 Plecos, 45x Cardinals, corys & shrimps

Check My Blog - http://zebrapleco.net
Adam

Post by Adam »

As Neo says this is spawning behaviour. You say that this behaviour occurs when you lower the tank temperature. Are you doing this by turning off heater(s) or through water changes? Which ever it is you should continue as what you are doing in effect is simulating a rainy season. What sort of temps are you going down to

Adam
aquaticus
Forum Follower

Post by aquaticus »

I have lowered down the temp from 30 to 24 degree celcius. The female is trying hard to get into the cave but the male just blocked the entrance. The female tried to enter the cave whenever i lowered the temp.

I have attached a rainbar on top to act as a rainy season.

Somehow the male is not going to let her in.. I have been sitting in front of the tank and peeping thru a small pin hole (my tank are all side covered) for holes and i saw that the female tried four to five times in 3 hours to get into the cave.
aquaticus
Forum Follower

Post by aquaticus »

I am using a heater and a fan. When i on the heater, the temp goes up to 30 with the fan running. As i am using fan, the water dries faster so i have to top up about 2 liter of water everyday. whenever i want to top up, i will off the heater and let the water temp drop to 25 before i top up.

In another way, i am actually changing about 3 to 5% water everyday.
NeoCult
Mentally Certified!

Post by NeoCult »

give it time she will get in, maybe the male just needs his ass kicked a little more lol
10x L046 Zebs for now, more coming soon ;) 6x L199 Plecos, 6x L129 Plecos, 45x Cardinals, corys & shrimps

Check My Blog - http://zebrapleco.net
aquaticus
Forum Follower

Post by aquaticus »

Hopefully the male will give in.... :D
aquaticus
Forum Follower

Post by aquaticus »

http://www.zebrapleco.com/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=44
Just uploaded another pic. Is it a male or female?
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Looks like a male to me... The last one I mean :)