Male and female in cave

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Male and female in cave

Post by Shell231 »

I dont think there is nothing to get excited over yet but i had a mae and female in a cave!!! The male was literally on top of the female swiahing his tail around, is this normal? or are they just practicing something?
fishboy
Groupie

Post by fishboy »

I am no expert but it sounds like they are spawning, as i think this is how it takes place
nesolb
Obsessed!!

Post by nesolb »

Sounds promising shell, keep us posted. :)
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

You say that! as soon as i moved ( i was about 4 metres away ) she rushed straight out of the cave! so any thoughts on to what they were doing?
nesolb
Obsessed!!

Post by nesolb »

I think they could be two inexperienced zebra's trying to have a spawn. It would seem that they've been easily disturbed but I still think it sounds promising. :)

Don't take this as gospel tho cos I'm still a novice keeper myself. I'm sure one of the more experience owners will give you some better advice; Rob, Adam, McEve, Barbie.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Your fish is rahter young aren't they Shell? One of the hurdles for the male to overcome is prove that he can protect the cave. He does this by keeping the female trapped in the cave. If he can keep her trapped in there, then he should be able to protect the cave satisfactorily. If he can't, meaning the cave is too big or he's too inexperienced, then no spawn.

It sound slike they've got the idea right though :)