Conditioning

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Conditioning

Post by Shell231 »

This may sound very silly but here goes..........

When conditionng the fish is it more important for the females to more food than the males? i.e more protein as to help the eggs and all of that?

Sorry for the dumb question!
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

I wouldn't have thought so. After all, the male will fan the eggs for anything up to a week till they hatch (I think I am correct on the timescale) and I imagine he won't eat during that time so he'll need to be in good condition to perform his task.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

The male will often not eat for 4 weeks while looking after the eggs, this differ from male to male though. But they need a good fat reserve before they're willing to take on the task of being a dad that's for sure!

ps - looking forward to seeing your avatar Plastic man! :D
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

Avatar sorted just for you. I take it you couldn't handle the little red cross for much longer then? :lol:

I did actually try adding one ages ago but it wouldn't allow me to add it no matter what I did to the file and I tried several different files..so I settled on the little red cross :D
Anyway I've just had another go and it worked...whoo hoo! :D
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

Another thought on conditioning, i fed them tonight as usal ( i am simulating a rainy season ) my female is always the only 1 i EVER! see eating the male never seem to leave there caves/ hidy holes, are males prodominantly night time feeders?

I feed 1 blister thing of bloodworm some hikari carnivores pellets ( 10 or so ) and a small ish pinch of tetra prima. Is this a good conditioning diet?
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Is that you on the picture? Look like Freddy Mercury when he was at the height of his career. And that's a compliment! :lol: :lol:
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

No that's not me :D .....and for the record I look nothing like Freddy Mercury, although I wish I had his voice.
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi Shell

The mix is good, but be careful on how much bloodworm you feed them. Zebras have very small intestines, so too much bloodworm can mead to a "blockage". Two to three times a week max, and make sure you remove anything that isn't eaten.

As for the males being predominantly night feeders, all zebras prefer darker conditions, they only become "accustomed" to having lights on becuase of us. As you knwo they are very shy fish. Some will become less timid, but other won't it all depends on the fish.!! :wink:

Plastic Mac....fantastic Avatar!!!!
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

OH i see! i have been feeding bloodworm every time i feed and just chop changing everything else! i will not feed bloodworm for a few days, i just brought somr chopped mussels are these any good?
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

chopped muscles are good!

They do contain bits that are inedible, so make sure and remove them as soon as the zebs are finnished as they tend to go off very quickly in warm water.

rob
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"