Temperature

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Temperature

Post by Shell231 »

I am lowering the temp to about 77 f is there anything else i can do to try and trigger a spawn in this manner i know it is a bit more complex than just dropping the temp, but is there anything simple to do i.e less food less light, you know things like this? any advise would be so greatfully recieved!!
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

I would have thought more food. Perhaps someone might say different.

Correct me if I am wrong but the temp dropping is related to the rainy season. Rain falls, the water expands across the forest floor....more water and more shade from the forest means the temperature drops but it also means access to more food which was not available before the water flowed onto the forest floor. I think this is true but it may not affect zebra's the same way it affects other fish.

What also might work is more water... in the rainy season when the rivers rise so does the pressure of the water, since there is more of it. This may also be a factor. ps I could be talking utter rubbish here it's just a thought that popped into my head while writing this :D

I've also heard of people making banging noises to help triggers spawns...to imitate the thunder of rainy seasons and also setting their camera's to flash every so often in order to imitate lightning. No idea how well these work though.

Hope it helps...
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

And, one should thing the water gets more acidic from flowing through the forest floor before entering the river.

In short the current gets higher, it gets colder, it gets softer, and the PH drops.

I have also heard of people flashing the tank with the camera during the simulated season :D I don't know if that matters but who knows - there is lightning at that time too! :lol:
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

We have low pressure at the mo i was told by a member to drop the temp to 77 f for a few hours and then rasie it to 85 which is what i am doing now, i am going to fed them quite a bit tonight, after tonight should i repeat this process or let it just carry on as normal?

I have RO unit on order so i can really drop PH as of yet is this the most important stage in the simulation?
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Be very careful about sudden and large drops in PH. It could kill your fish!

If you choose to drop the PH then do so slowly, and preferably through filtering through a natural filtermaterial, like peat, that will allow the PH to drop over time, and also make sure to have a good buffer in the water.

Personally I think I would choose any of the many other parameters than the PH. Soften the water or take away a powehead that's been going in your tank for a couple of onths.

I've written a bit about it here: http://www.zebrapleco.com/article2.php
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

very interesting article McEve well done!

Few questions:-

It says in there you do not use RO water what do you use instead?

Peat? where does that go? in the filter?
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

I don't use RO water as I have very soft water in my tap. RO is used primarily to soften the water and reduce the conductivity in the water.

I googled just to find a link to get you started on the concept, http://www.erdingtonaquatics.com/osmosis.html loooks ok.

You can place the peat in the filter (in a bag in the filter) or in the tank. Some people also use oak leves..? Please correct me if I remember wrong on this one, I might very well be.

oh, and about the peat, use the stuff you can buy in the petshop especilly meant for this purpose ;)
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

ok back to just the peat which is better in the filter ( if mine takes it ) or in the tank? Will this still work just in the tank?
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

I've never used it in the tank myself, so I don't know, but can't see why not. I believe Killi breeders do that... Here's a link on the subject, but focused on Discus :D

http://www.aquaworldaquarium.com

look at the last paragraf: How to Make Hard Alkaline Water Soft and Acidic
Andrew C
Obsessed!!

Post by Andrew C »

Shell
If the KH & GH of your water is around 6 or 7, try using peat to soften it, but if the KH & GH is above this you would be much better using RO Water.
Peat would not alter hard water very well, unless you use a very large amount of it, that is why people with hard water use RO Units.

Another point to consider when using peat, and also if you use an RO Unit, is that you need a holding/conditioning tank to alter your water for water changes.
Once you start altering your tap water, your can not use your tap water directly for water changes because your tank now has different water parameters.

Set up a small tank to let you experiment with peat to see how much of it you need to acidify your water.
Get some "Filter Media Nylon Net Bags", aquatics online sells them
http://www.aquatics-online.co.uk/Z066173.asp.
DIY centers sell peat, you want Sphagnum Peat, the stuff i use is Arthur Bower's high quality garden peat, you probably won't find that, but the same thing by a different company.
You also need PH, KH & GH test kits to check the water measurements.

After setting up the tank and filling it with tap water, measure the waters PH, KH & GH and take a note of it, then fill a mesh bag with peat and put it directly into the tank (you do not need to soak or rinse the peat before use), leave the tank for 24hrs, then check the PH, KH & GH to see if it has softened your water much.

If you water has not changed much over 24hrs with a mesh bag full of peat, you are better investing in a RO Unit.
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

i am doing a rainy season at the mo and my water is at 77f i am doing a 25 % water change every night for a week, i am replacing the water with the same temp water is this ok? or is this pointless? any thoughts on this would be greatful
Andrew C
Obsessed!!

Post by Andrew C »

at 77f i am doing a 25 % water change every night for a week, i am replacing the water with the same temp water is this ok? or is this pointless? any thoughts on this would be greatful
If you are not softening the water you are using for the water changes, and just using your tap water for the water changes, it will not stimulate the zebras much.

Expanding on McEve's quote earlier "In short; with all the rain, the rivers temperature will lower, the rain water will also dilute the rivers water, making it softer (lower kh/gh), and also also lower the rivers PH. "

Which means when simulating a rainy season for a week, you are looking to lower the temperature of your tank water, drop the tanks water ph a bit, and lower its kh/gh (soften the water).

But to be able to do a rainy season like that, you need to be able to test your waters ph, kh & gh and understand what they mean.

If you set up a small two foot tank with no fish in it, and try the experiment from the last post, it will give you a good chance to get used to testing yours waters; ph, kh & gh. [/quote]
Last edited by Andrew C on Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

I know how to test and i do test my water i also understand i need to lower the PH , KH and GH, but my question was do i change it for the same temperature? lol

I was just trying to see if i would get a reaction, i have RO unit on order so i was just having a little go with out.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

The temperature is an important part of simulating the rainy season. Here's a step-by-step:
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/universal-viewid88.html
Andrew C
Obsessed!!

Post by Andrew C »

For general weekly water changes i just use water at the same temperature, but if doing a rainy season you are looking to drop the temperature.